Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Yahoo Answers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_joelj1964_*

Guest_joelj1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:13 PM

Hello all; I am posting this topic for awareness and for assistance. I am (or was) a member of Yahoo Answers where I answered questions regarding security related issues. Although I have my own website in which I receive compensation for the same, I never charged or attempted to charge anyone for the help I provided on YA nor did I ever post a link to my site. I did, however, make numerous references to Bleeping Computer and/or rkill in my answers to assist the asker in removing malware. The following question and answer recently took place:

Question:
How do you remove the Antivirus soft virus from a computer?

Deleted Answer:
You will need to end the process before you will be able to download or run any type of malware remover. If you are able to access task mgr you can end the process there. If not, then click on the first link below and choose save. Save the file to your desktop for convenience. Click on the icon and let rkill run. This should end the process of the malware allowing you to download Malwarebytes from the second link. Update and choose quick scan of MBAM. *

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Violation Reason: Spam

As you can see, my answer was deleted siting I had posted links to spam. Not only so, but my account was suspended for this. We all know that Bleeping computer is one of the best sites, free and paid alike, to assist the user in removing infections with absolutely no request for compensation of any type. I am absolutely outraged by this. I had worked very hard to obtain my level 6 status with more than 650 best answers. The report of spam was obviously made by an immature hate monger. This is the routine practice of Yahoo Answers staff to not make reasonable judgments in situations such as this. I would appreciate any assistance and/or support anyone is willing to give. Thanks, Joel

Edited by joelj1964, 14 February 2010 - 02:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,305 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:29 PM

I have notified the owner of BleepingComputer of this matter. At this point I cannot make any assumptions of how YA will respond to being contacted by us. We will however let you know what our experience with them is. We do greatly appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:34 PM

Have you heard back from Yahoo Answers regarding your query as to why you were banned? Can you let me know, whether on here or via private message what you have sent them so far, and the email or message you received from them?

#4 Guest_joelj1964_*

Guest_joelj1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:08 PM

@Grinler:
Thank you for the reply to my post. To answer your question, I have yet to appeal the decision of Yahoo Answers to suspend my account. I am in the process of gathering the information needed in order to enhance the appeal. As to the reason for the suspension, it was due to my having allegedly posted links to spam as stated in my post here on Bleeping Computer. I received 2 emails from Yahoo containing the following information.

First email:

Hello 14u2c

It has been reported that you have posted content to Yahoo! Answers in violation of our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service. As a result, your content has been deleted. Community Guidelines help to keep Yahoo! Answers a safe and useful community, so we appreciate your consideration of its rules.

Question: How do you remove the Antivirus soft virus from a computer?

Deleted Answer: You will need to end the process before you will be able to download or run any type of malware remover. If you are able to access task mgr you can end the process there. If not, then click on the first link below and choose save. Save the file to your desktop for convenience. Click on the icon and let rkill run. This should end the process of the virus allowing you to download Malwarebytes from the second link. Update and choose quick scan of MBAM. *

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Violation Reason: Spam

In Yahoo! Answers you may not post links with the purpose of directing commercial activity to a non-Yahoo! site or an email address.

Violating the Community Guidelines or TOS may result in the deletion of the content, deduction of points or termination of your Answers account without warning. In extreme cases, violations may result in the termination of your Yahoo! ID, and consequently, access to all other Yahoo! services. If you feel this content was removed in error, please contact the Answers Customer Care team and tell us why. For more information, please see the Yahoo! Terms of Service and the Answers Community Guidelines.

Regards,
Yahoo! Customer Care

Second email:

Hello 14u2c(joelj1964)

You have posted content to Yahoo! Answers in violation of our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service. As a result, your account has been suspended.

If you feel you were not in violation, please contact our Customer Care and tell us why.

Regards,
Yahoo! Customer Care

As I stated to Pandy in a previous pm, I am not so much concerned about the Yahoo Answers account as I am the principal of being classified as posting spam for recommending Bleeping Computer and Malwarebytes. I'm sure that even if the account was re-instated this issue would arise again as this is the routine practice of the Yahoo Answers review team to make capricious determinations without any meaningful review of the content. Thank you again for your assistance in this matter and I will keep you informed of the situation.

Thanks, Joel

#5 Guest_joelj1964_*

Guest_joelj1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:32 AM

It took a telephone call to yahoo headquarters, but this matter is now resolved. Thanks to everyone who gave support and help.

Joel :thumbsup:

#6 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:36 PM

I am really glad to hear that Joel :thumbsup:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users