Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have 2 java folders, only 1 Java in add/remove

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jaguiar45

jaguiar45

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:01 PM

Hi, this is my first post. I have 2 Java folders and I only realized this after Hijackthis warned me that this could be a "nasty" (even though it had a green checkmark next to it) and that Java is supposed to run in C:\Program Files\Java\bin but the other Java folder is in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe. My internet connection to websites is slow sometimes they pop right up no problem but other times the websites are slow and have to repeatedly click on the link or click "stop" and "refresh" until it comes up or just give up on the site. I am using Flock browser but also have Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer and it seems to happen the same to all of them. I should also add that not long ago I had the firewall and antivirus override virus av.exe (i.e. Xp antispyware 2010) which, I think, I was able to get rid of so I don't know if it is that, but this problem seemed to happen after I got rid of it. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:12 PM

Both are valid.

The folder in common files is for the automatic java update feature, while the folder at C:\Program Files\Jave\Jre6 should be the current install of Java. If you don't have the JRE6 folder, chances are that you need to update your Java version.

It's a security weakness to use older, outdated versions of Java, Flash, and IE...since malware idiots create nuisances to exploit known vulnerabilities in those older versions. Updates created for security reasons for those programs...should always be installed promptly...if the user wants to make it difficult for malware to gum up her/his system.

Louis

#3 jaguiar45

jaguiar45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:53 PM

Thanks Louis my computer is running ok but I just wanted to make sure. Oh and I do have the latest update. -John

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:01 PM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:05 PM

Just a note - the current version you should see in Add/Remove Programs is:

Java™ 6 Update 18

You can also run the Java console from Control Panel to check the version and check for updates.

Sometimes things get mixed up somehow with Java in Add/Remove Programs and instead of trying to figure it out, I find it easiest to just uninstall all the Java, reboot and download/install the latest version from Sun Microsystems. I think I read somewhere that is what they recommend too. No wrestling for me!

Personally, I disabled my jusched.exe (the java updater) in the Java Control Panel applet and consider it an unnecessary and annoying "thing" running on my computer and unessential. If I think I have a Java problem, I will check for updates myself.

Edited by joseibarra, 14 February 2010 - 07:08 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 jaguiar45

jaguiar45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:56 PM

Jose, what if I just disable jusched.exe in autoruns. Do you see any problems with that? -John

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:47 PM

That'll work too :thumbsup:

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users