Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BOOTMGR Corrupt, cannot load or boot from disc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PCsolutions

PCsolutions

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:58 PM

I have an HP s3401f slimline pc. The machine will not boot at all. I've tried everything I can possible think of, and I am truly stumped. All hardware tests fine by the way. Memory, hard drive, etc.

When the pc is turned on, a blinking cursor will display. Eventually you will see "BOOTMGR is corrupt. The system cannot boot."

I have tried the vista recovery disc and actual vista disc to no avail. When it says "press any key to boot from disc" I push a key and the screen never changes from that. I've tried formatting the driver in another machine, and i've tried using a new hard drive altogether. NOTHING works.

Any advice would be outstanding. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_joelj1964_*

Guest_joelj1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:42 AM

Perhaps you have already done this, but there are 2 things that come to my mind initially. First, have you entered bios to ensure the cd-rom is set to boot first? Secondly, are you certain the cd-rom is working properly? Honestly it sounds as if the cd-rom isn't recognizing the disk.

Edited by joelj1964, 15 February 2010 - 12:49 AM.

#3 PCsolutions

PCsolutions
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:43 AM

I do have the cd/dvd drive set to boot first and I did think maybe the disc drive could be bad, so I used a USB dvd drive to test and the same results happened.

I am so stuck on this one. I thought the bios could be corrupt, so I reset the bios since HP does not offer any bios update support unless you can actually boot into windows. Nothing changed.

I'm only left to assume, because of eliminating other factors, that the motherboard, or an area on the motherboard must be defective.

#4 Guest_joelj1964_*

Guest_joelj1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:14 AM

The only other thing I can think of at this point is when you used the usb device did you change the boot order to boot removable devices first? If you have done that I would recommend you get the model number of the mobo and do a little research. It's possible you may need to run the disk for it. Sorry I am not of more help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users