Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crash recovery help??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacle

Spectacle

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:55 PM

Hi folks!

Tried a simple memory upgrade on my Dell Optiplex GX-110 [some see it coming already....] and ended up with a toaster instead of a computer. Last wicked little message before crash was: 'System Configuration file is missing', this after several boots to try to save the poor thing. Nasty crash.

Thank God for Uniblue Registry Booster! One of the best little programs I've come across in all my years of business & personal computers!! I was able to restore the Registry to a rollback and got a very good result. Lots of work left to do of course, like:

Boots fine and quickly after replacing blown modem & some cleanup. Now when I open any programs like Internet Explorer 6, click an IE link, or open Control Panel, My Documents etc. getting a popup: 'Windows Installer' saying 'Windows Installer Preparing to install' followed by a second popup,

'Windows Installer' - 'The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removeable disc that is not available'. I hit 'Cancel' and then these popup 2-3 more times, then program loads normally.

Also Outlook Express is adding 3-4 copies of every message and server connection doesn't want to shut off when I close, keeps loading, have to kill the dialup connection to stop it.

So, programs are loaded but the O/S is not configured correctly to recognize them? Any easy solutions? 'Easy' because I'm not all that sharp....

Thanks!
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:02 PM

Try a repair install of XP, following any Dell directions for such.

Example of instructions at http://support.euro.dell.com/support/topic...;l=en&s=gen.

Louis

#3 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:22 AM

Thanks, Hamluis! I'll check out the info at the link and see what I can do.

Solved some of it: I had uninstalled some HP printer components before the crash. Then I did a backup registry, from before the uninstall of HP stuff. So the new [old] registry was looking for HP components that weren't there anymore! I had to reinstall all HP stuff, reboot, uninstall all the HP junk again, reboot, and now back to normal.

That is, except for Outlook Express. Going to contact my ISP & ask him to dump all messages in que and get myself some breathing room to fix it.

Thanks again!
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:56 AM

Glad you resolved it...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users