Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Money isn't everything?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 chevyusa1

chevyusa1

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:14 AM

Whoever the person was that first coined the phrase "Money isn't everything" was either rich or ignorant, in my opinion.
There is NOTHING that is free! You can't even breath the free air without some cost. Unless you are naked, example is...I can't even sit outside and breath without it costing me money somehow someway, I can't sit in puplic naked, my clothes cost money, homes aren't free, so I can't sit inside my house for free either. It would cost me about $10 u.s. just to take my kids a few blocks to the park to play, walk you say? That costs money also....I had to buy shoes. Go barefoot you say? Ok but when I step on something that injures my foot how much will that cost me. Medical care isn't free in the U.S.
I've also heard the phrase "Money can't buy Happiness", true happiness maybe not. But peace of mind can be bought. If you are very wealthy and your bills are paid on time without fail, then you have alot more peace of mind and I bet alot happier. When I work 40+ hours a week to get a paycheck that doesn't cover ALL of my bills, let alone food and gasoline, and I'm running on empty and hungry by payday, I'm not very happy. Forget saving money for my childs college education, hell I can barely pay his school fees now, books=$100.00+ per semester, school lunch $2.00 per day! Not to mention supplies like pencils and paper, And That is just 1 child.
Ok, now I challenge ANYONE to name 1 thing that a person can do or experience at absolutely NO cost, ever.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 03 September 2005 - 04:16 PM

Ask Jesus into your heart to forgive you of your sins. It does not cost anything to get saved. Jesus said just ask him to come into your heart and believe in him and you will be saved.
http://www.branchministry.net/bibleteachings/savedpauls.htm

-Austin

#3 bilko

bilko

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 03 September 2005 - 05:22 PM

Leading on from cowsgonemad.

Prayer and meditaion cost nothing.

Living in society today demands money, esepcially in so the so called rich countries of the west.

Lack of money leads to stress, use meditation to help relieve some of the stress and anger you have built up inside. While meditation wont ease your money problems it will certainly reduce your stress levels.

Talking and laughing are also free.

But if you want to be a really funny about it, nothing can truly be free because you burn calories doing nothing, and for calories you need food. Food isnt free!!!

But if money is the be all and end all, how did people survive before money was invented. Trading goods is suppose could also be classed as money, as the goods themselves become currency of a sort.

So I have to admit nothing is free, but wow, what a sad outlook on life.
Posted Image

#4 deerslayer

deerslayer

• Members
  • 322 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2005 - 06:27 PM

I can only agree with bilko and cgm3. They have allready told you about the gift of salvation, so i won't bore you. But i will say this:
If you think money will get you ahead in life, you my friend, are very much behind. :thumbsup:
I'll agree, all day long, that money is the key in this world, but Jesus Christ is the door you must go through to have a happy life. Money will not fill the void in your life. Just as drugs won't, or alcohol, or anything else. Only the LOVE of Jesus can do that.
You see God, who created us, saw how wicked we had become; so he sent hos only son, Jesus, to die for our sins. Salvation is free, not because YOU payed, but because JESUS PAYED with his life! He died so that YOU and me, and EVERYONE could be saved!
Yes, you can be somewhat prosperous in life but you won't be happy with Jesus Christ.
Jesus loves you and WE love you. I think i speak for most all of the bc members when i say, If you ever need anyone to talk to, about Jesus or anything else we are here for you.
:flowers:
Now i'll shut up and quit preaching. :trumpet:

Edited by deerslayer, 03 September 2005 - 06:27 PM.

When I was born, I was so surprised I didn't talk for a year and a half!!!
Posted Image
signature done by EFIZZER!!!
If you're ever in the nut house, look me up.
~Deerslayer

#5 deerslayer

deerslayer

• Members
  • 322 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2005 - 06:29 PM

Please! if you don't read what we wrote at least click on the link CGM3 posted!!! :thumbsup:
JESUS LOVES YOU!!!!! AND SO DO WE!
:flowers:

Edited by deerslayer, 03 September 2005 - 06:30 PM.

Posted Image
~Deerslayer

#6 chevyusa1

chevyusa1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:51 AM

:thumbsup:

It seems that I gave the wrong impression. I am happy, and my money problems don't anger me in such a way that makes me unhappy. I'm like anyone else, I get frustrated sometimes but that's about it.
As for prayer and meditation.....not free in my opinion. Everything has cost, at some point. Where do you pray? In your home? Do you get to live in your home for free? Do you pray with the lights on? Do you pay your electric bill? Do you pray in a church? Every church I've ever been to passes out a plate asking you to give money. I believe in the possiblility of Jesus...but he has never paid any of my bills. And after over 2000 years after Jesus died on the cross, there is NO hard evidence to prove or disprove anything written in the Bible. But we have found bones that are ove 6 million years old.....hmmmmm. But this isn't about religion, anyway I didn't intend it to be. My beliefs have never had an effect on my finances.
I refute the answers to my challenge as not being "free", even prayer has a financial cost, if not at the actual time of the prayer, there is always a relative cost at some point. My opinion here....not condeming any one or saying what is right or wrong morally or religiously.

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:46 AM

And after over 2000 years after Jesus died on the cross, there is NO hard evidence to prove or disprove anything written in the Bible.

How untrue. Here is something I think you will like. http://www.harpazo.net/101/List.html
That link above shows what the Bible has always said would happen and it is happening today.

#8 chevyusa1

chevyusa1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:53 AM

Thanks for your thoughts. But your religious opinion and anyone else's are not relavent to the "challenge" and are of no concern to me. I posted an opinion and a challenge relating to "money".
Further, the scientific and religious views of how earth and people were created/evolved are VERY different. Not much agreement between these 2 types of people. I tend to lean toward the scientific side and I believe more in what CAN be proven rather then various predictions that occasionally seem to have come true. Nostrodamus made predictions too and some were pretty close. But they were just predictions and subject to interpritation*.
Please try to reply to my challenge if you have any input on it. If you would like to preach your religious views then please make your own topic relavent to religion. This topic is about MONEY!
But thanks for the reply.

Edited by chevyusa1, 05 September 2005 - 11:55 AM.

#9 bilko

bilko

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 05 September 2005 - 01:12 PM

But if you want to be a really funny about it, nothing can truly be free because you burn calories doing nothing, and for calories you need food. Food isnt free!!!

You win, nothing is free!!!
Posted Image

#10 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2005 - 07:15 PM

Thinking is free. :thumbsup: You can sit outside in the forrest (woods) wherever, without any clothes, and just think. Heck if you didn't want to pay taxes or thought money was just plane evil you could possibly just live out in the woods/forrest and hunt. :flowers: But who would want to do that?

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:28 PM

Forget saving money for my childs college education, hell I can barely pay his school fees now, books=$100.00+ per semester, school lunch $2.00 per day! Not to mention supplies like pencils and paper, And That is just 1 child.

Ok, now I challenge ANYONE to name 1 thing that a person can do or experience at absolutely NO cost, ever.

You mention at least one child as quoted above. I accept your challenge. And in return I offer you a challenge. The reply to your challenge, is: To unconditionally love your child or if it should be, children. Your challenge: To unconditionally accept the love of your child or children in return.

Be (unconditionally) Safe

Da Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 chevyusa1

chevyusa1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:39 AM

[quote name='bilko' date='Sep 5 2005, 01:12 PM'] [/QUOTE]

You win, nothing is free!!! [/QUOTE]
I didn't "win" anything. This was a simple little challenge just to see if anyone could come up with a legit answer. This wasn't a cry for help. A simple harmless little challenge. Was really hoping to hear something good....guess I was wrong.
This isn't my outlook on life. I wasn't asking to be "saved". And my love for my kids in noone else's business and is way ofF topic.
Never Freakin' MIND! :thumbsup:
I think maybe some of you need to get away from the computer and experience fresh air and real life, atleast alittle.

Edited by chevyusa1, 06 September 2005 - 12:41 AM.

#13 deerslayer

deerslayer

• Members
  • 322 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:13 AM

:thumbsup: I like the way you stand up for what you believe in. I'm not saying you're right, but you probably don't think i'm right. lol
It is true there is allot of pressure in this world today. Especially with money.
With the price of gas going up and taxes and groceries. But there are still "free" things.

experience fresh air...

that is still free.
But i agree, people are getting WAY to greedy.
But unless you're going to do what yano said (LOL) "Live out in the wood in your 'birthday suite', and eat locust and wild honey." You better get a credit card. :flowers:

Edited by deerslayer, 06 September 2005 - 09:18 AM.

Posted Image
~Deerslayer

#14 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:16 AM

School taxes here went up a huge 40%. It is the way of the world... money has its hook into everything. Can't go anywhere without it. Can't have any fun. I can't think of anything that doesn't need money.. except thinking like Yano said... but what do we think about?? How to make more money LOL

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#15 chevyusa1

chevyusa1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:34 AM

Finally, 2 answers that seem to have had some thought behind them. Thanks deerslayer and Pandy. I was hoping that there was something "free" that I hadn't thought of. We've all heard the other saying about money..."money is the root of all evil", too bad money can't be abolished. I think the world would be better off without it. Teachers and police officers, just to name 2, have walways been way underpaid for what they do. Firemen where I live are "volunteers". To me this is wrong, the people that make the world go around and do the important things are the lowest paid people in the U.S. Why? Who knows. Professional athletes, actors and other entertainers make MILLIONS for entertaining, while the teachers etc. are struggling to survive, it's just wrong. Not that the atheletes and entertainers don't deserve to make good money but the money they make is enough to keep their great grandchildren wealthy.
One thing I'll never understand about religion....why religious people think it is ok to force their religion and opinions/beliefs on you whether you ask for it or not, some of the responses to this topic are proof. Maybe that's part of why I stopped going to church. I do my praying and believe what I want, when I want and where I want.
Thanks to those of you who actually tried to answer the question and not preach at me.
This topic can be closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users