Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google on the road to developing a web browser?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 22 September 2004 - 03:35 PM

Google

Rumors are circulating on many sites that Google may be or is starting to create their own Web Browser.

An article at the New York Post says that Google has recently been hiring people who have worked or are currently working on Web Browser technologies in the past. Could this mean that Google is developing a web browser? As no one is talking it is anyones guess.
One interesting tidbit of information, though, is that Google owns a domain name called gbrowser.com? Coincidence? Who knows.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 22 September 2004 - 03:58 PM

Sounds neat but can it beat firefox? Or mozilla?

Ps your link doesnt work! Might want to fix it.......

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 22 September 2004 - 04:00 PM.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2004 - 04:11 PM

Thanks its fixed

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2004 - 04:15 PM

I saw this same information on slashdot, I think. I would not be surprised if Google were to create a browser, since it would probably interface with Google's search engine, etc. and thus ally more users to their product. The the wolves are circling the dying carcass of IE. (Firefox is up to the million and a half download mark since the push started a few days ago).
I think the battle between Google, Yahoo, AOL and MSN for user-dominance through a complete packaging of web services will only benefit the users. My only concern is that everything will end up as being a jack of all trades, and master of none, in the race to dominance. Hopefully Mozilla will stick to what it knows best how to do, so there will be at least ONE good browser/Email client left after the fallout.
Cheers,
John

PS
Just ran into this article, hinting that Google may use the Mozilla engine:

http://software.silicon.com/applications/0...39124208,00.htm

Edited by jgweed, 22 September 2004 - 04:59 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2004 - 09:51 AM

I also think it would be a huge way for them to target their adwords. Their browser has a bar that shows adsense relevant to the content of the site you are visiting.

Not sure how well that would be received, but I am convinced it will be in there if this happens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users