Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive partitions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bryan r

bryan r

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:58 AM

Hi
my pc is a medion pcmt5 and it has a hard drive split into partitions.
1.Boot on drive c: type ntfs with 60% capacity
2 backup drive d: type ntfs with 30% capacity
3 recover drive e: type ntfs or fat 32 with 10% capacity

How can I get more space as drive c is almost full and I have lots of spare on d.
I don't know what to do can someone please help bearing in mind that I am no expert.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:15 AM

Before you do anything, make sure you have backed up your data. I'd also recommend using a program like Acronis True Image to make images of your partitions and a copy of your boot record. Then, if anything goes awry you can restore what you had before you fiddled with the computer. Do you have operating system disks? If so, you could also use those to reinstall your operating system if anything gets completely messed up (make sure you've got copies of all of your data as well).

You can resize your partitions with a program called Gparted which is available for download here Gparted What operating system do you have? I've used Gparted in xp without any issues, but the bootmanager in Windows 7 got completely messed up by it. I believe that Vista has a similar bootmanager to Windows 7 so it might cause booting issues if you've got vista.

Do you have your data on C:? Is your backup partition definitely only reserved for backups, or would you be happy to move your data there? You can find instructions online as to how to move your data folders to another partition (how to do it depends on your operating system). This is a much easier option if you are happy to use the existing partition for your data.
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:12 AM

Like Tek said, backup everything first. There is also the program EASUS Partition Master and it's free. But it does not work with 64 bit windows. I've used it and its easy to use. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:28 PM

I also like the idea of using Partition Master/Manager.

But...you need to read the instructions before doing anything...and remember that you must first create space to the right of the partition which you want to increase in size...before you can add that resize the partition that you want to increase in size.

Partition Master, Resizing.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users