Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mal/FakeAvJs-A & Mal/Resdro-A [Merged topics. ~ OB]

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 QuixoticallyMe

QuixoticallyMe

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:03 AM

So, I have Webroot Spyware Sweeper with Anti-virus, and as of today it has detected two virus threats: Mal/FakeAvJs-A and Mal/Resdro-A. As of now, I have done a full system sweep with webroot, and it says that it has quarantined both viruses. I've read the other topics related to this problem on your forum, and from what I am reading a simple quarantine will not be enough to rid me of this problem. So I woud like to run interference and prevent this situation from getting any worse.

I have not expereinced any strange behavior from my computer as of yet, aside from when it first acquired the virus, but as I said, I'd rather not wait for the situation to get worse.

My operating system is Windows XP, and I keep it as well as my Webroot program up-to-date. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Quixotically Me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 QuixoticallyMe

QuixoticallyMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:48 PM

This is my 2nd time coming here for help. And now I am desperate!

Here is my original post. I posted this on Feb. 14th.

So, I have Webroot Spyware Sweeper with Anti-virus, and as of today it has detected two virus threats: Mal/FakeAvJs-A and Mal/Resdro-A. As of now, I have done a full system sweep with webroot, and it says that it has quarantined both viruses. I've read the other topics related to this problem on your forum, and from what I am reading a simple quarantine will not be enough to rid me of this problem. So I woud like to run interference and prevent this situation from getting any worse.

I have not expereinced any strange behavior from my computer as of yet, aside from when it first acquired the virus, but as I said, I'd rather not wait for the situation to get worse.

My operating system is Windows XP, and I keep it as well as my Webroot program up-to-date. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Now my computer is exhibiting problems. Whenever I try to log onto my hotmail email, internet expolrer completely freezes up. I've never had this problem before. And when I sent an error report to microsoft, I got a page saying that the issue may be virus related. I've waited 2 weeks for a reply from here. And I am in desperate need of help. Please help me.

#3 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:42 AM

Hello Quixotically Me .

I apologize for the delay. Sometimes topics get missed around here.

Let's see what we can do.

Install ERUNT
This tool will create a complete backup of your registry. After every reboot, a new backup is created to ensure we have a safety net after each step. Do not delete these backups until we are finished.

Do not use the NTREGOPT that comes with the installation package.
  • Please download erunt-setup.exe to your desktop.
  • Double click erunt-setup.exe. If you are using Windows Vista, right click the icon and select "Run As Administrator." Follow the prompts and allow ERUNT to be installed with the settings at default. If you do not want a Desktop icon, feel free to uncheck that. When asked if you want to create an ERUNT entry in the startup folder, answer Yes only if you are using Windows XP. You can delete the installation file after use.
  • Erunt will open when the installation is finished. Check all items to be backed up in the default location and click OK.
You can find a complete guide to using the program here:
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt

When we are finished, you may, remove ERUNT using Add/Remove Programs.

Download and run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
If you already have MBAM installed, simply update and run a quick scan.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware setup and to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

Refer to the steps given here on installing MalwareBytes, running the scan, and saving the log file (not on using File Assasin).
  • If you have trouble updating, try the other mirror download site.
  • Should the computer in question not be able update using the normal method download the update file from here, using another machine if needed. Simply double click the file to install the updates.
  • If MalwareBytes asks to reboot to remove certain items, do so right away.
Please include the scan logfile in your next reply.

With Regards,
The Panda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users