Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Crashes During Boot-Up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shamrock838

shamrock838

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:24 AM

Vista Business Crashes During Boot-Up:

I have a Dell Vostro 820 desktop running under Vista Business and it’s been crashing of late during startup. I succeeded in booting from the reinstallation DVD and finally did a successful repair after a few failures.

At one point during the troubleshooting process I got the following display:
“File: \Boot\BCD
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.”

At another point, I got a “corrupt partition table.”

Leading to all this I’ve had sporadic recognition problems with my Maxtor 1-Touch 1000 GB External Hard Drive. When I physically disconnected this device, the system booted normally again.

When I checked Vista’s “Problem Reports and Solutions” I found:

“Address a Problem with Maxtor II/III/IV One-Touch Software:

“Maxtor On-Touch II/III/IV One-Touch Software has stopped working properly. A newer version of this product is available that might help solve this problem. Click to download the latest version of Maxtor On-Touch II/III/IV One-Touch Software from the Seagate LLC website.”

What’s the proper sequence for doing this please? Do I first reconnect the Maxtor external HD before downloading the new software? Should I uninstall the existing Maxtor software, or will the newer software automatically override this?

Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thejynxed

thejynxed

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:10 PM

Disconnect the drive, uninstall the old software, reboot, install the new software, reconnect the drive.

#3 shamrock838

shamrock838
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:59 PM

[This is a reiteration/update to my original post.]

I have a Dell Vostro 420 Desktop (Windows Vista Business SP2) that recently crashed and will not reboot normally. It seems a USB connection problem with a Maxtor OneTouch4 1000GB external HD affected the Window boot-up big time. [I can provide details on request.] Fact is, I can only boot off the “Reinstallation DVD Windows Vista Business 32Bit SP1.”

From this DVD I have two options: repair the computer or reinstall Windows Vista. The auto repair function didn’t work (it didn’t even recognize my OS) so it looks like it’s a Windows reinstall for me but I don’t want to lose my data and programs. This is not a Vista Business upgrade – or a new install from scratch – this just a reinstall of the existing program (except I’ll be going from SP2 back to SP1).

Can I do this safely, i.e. without losing my stuff? What I really need at this point is a basic step-by-step process -- for dummies like me -- and a place to ask questions that may arise.

Many thanks.

[BTW, I tried hooking up that Maxtor external HD to my laptop and got the same errors I saw before the desktop crash – USB not recognized, etc. This time I did a disconnect/reconnect of both ends of the Maxtor’s power and USB cables and, viola, it works again. Yes, yes, if only I had thought of that before the desktop crashed.]

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:10 PM

How hot is your computer?

#5 shamrock838

shamrock838
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:49 AM

If by "hot" you mean temperature re overheating, it's not. What does this have to do with the problem at hand?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:14 PM

If by "hot" you mean temperature re overheating, it's not. What does this have to do with the problem at hand?

Heat can cause a whole wide system of issues especially on hard drives. If your computer tower isn't circulating the air as it should hot hair can surround a component and heat it to the point it starts to error out.

I have witnessed this, and it can also produce false negatives when testing RAM and what not.

#7 shamrock838

shamrock838
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:37 PM

Heat can cause a whole wide system of issues especially on hard drives. If your computer tower isn't circulating the air as it should hot hair can surround a component and heat it to the point it starts to error out.

I have witnessed this, and it can also produce false negatives when testing RAM and what not.

Thanks. That settled -- care to comment on my situation as posted?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:47 PM

I would try a repair install, and when you install software again please make sure that your software and other programs and drivers are updated prior to upgrading to another service pack. Microsoft strongly enforces this policy and warns people.

#9 shamrock838

shamrock838
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:59 PM

I would try a repair install, and when you install software again please make sure that your software and other programs and drivers are updated prior to upgrading to another service pack. Microsoft strongly enforces this policy and warns people.

Thanks for the tips.

I tried the Vista "repair computer" option and it failed. In fact, it didn't even recognize the OS as stated on my original post.

Since it looks like a Vista reinstall is my only remaining option, I have two goals in order of preference: (1) save a week's worth of created/revised data plus e-mails [since my last backup]; (2) save my installed programs and desktop shortcuts.

Is this doable? Isn't there such a thing as creating a new partition for the Vista reinstall?

Thanks.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:20 PM

Save your data and email the rest can be reinstalled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users