Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer doesn't recognise printer any more

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 madj

madj

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:10 PM

I installed a new printer on my computer, its running Windows 7 Home Premium. The printer is a Canon MP500 Pixma multifunction. The printer was bought second hand but in perfect working condition. I plugged in the USB cable and the system automatically installed the latest drivers. The printer worked perfectly. The other night my son attempted to print something but the printers status was 'offline'. I thought it may have been a sharting issue but checked and the printer was already shared. I then noted that in the device screen although it showed the printer, it also showed that an 'unknown device' was attached to the computer. This turned out to be the printer. I checked for the latest driver which my computer had already installed. I turned everything off and reconnected everything one by one and when the printer was connected a bubble came up and didnt recognise it stating it was an unknown device. I then uninstalled the printer and started again but the same issue. The device reports error code 43. I have tried other USB ports but no luck and other devices run off the same USB port that the printer was on. I have googled to frustration and cannot seem to find a solution. Am a basic computer user, so plain english (lol) would be appreciated, actually any help at all would be appreciated. I would rather not have to buy yet another printer if I can avoid it. Many thanks and I hope I have included everything I need to in this post, which btw is my very first one!!

No system changes or anything else occured between installation and when the problem occurred, have had the printer 2 weeks and it seemed to work for 1 week. The computer is less than 4 months old and is running the Windows 7 upgrade. No issues at all with it til now (depending of course what the problem is).

Many thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:15 PM

Try a different USB cord for the printer?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 madj

madj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:45 PM

Have already tried that...several times, and no luck.

#4 madj

madj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:22 PM

More things I tried, totally reinstalling the drivers, other devices work fine on that USB port, tried in another port, new USB cord didnt make any difference. Fresh install from disc, install from web site, drained power from the computer, multiple restarts etc etc. Just seems odd that the printer worked for a week and then stopped communicating (sounds like an old ex lol) and in my basic knowledge of such things am at a complete loss.

#5 madj

madj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:49 AM

Am astounded!!! after 2 weeks of frustration, countless hours searching for a solution, I finally just unplugged everything, power lead and USB and left it for several hours. I decided to have one more go at this tonight and went to add a printer, and connected everything back up and it reinstalled with no problem at all!!!!! Have even printed something (just to make sure it wasnt my imagination lol). Although on the surface it appears to be 'fixed' am not going to hold my breath lol thanks to all who read this and scratched their heads but for now it appears this problem is solved (watch this space)

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:05 PM

Hope it remains working
Good luck
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users