Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Valentines Day Computer Shopping

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TTC

TTC

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:50 PM

Hi all ^^ I originally purchased a computer from Best Buy a couple of weeks ago, but had to return it due to a fault that they said their technical support couldn't repair it. I'm heartbroken and without a computer. ): But who says this Valentines Day isn't be a good time for me to find a new one? haha. :wacko: I know I won't be able to get a perfect computer, but if I can have something that is at least most of the things I want...that's fine for me.

What I want with a new computer:

1. Able to handle multiple applications being open without crashing/freezing.

Firefox, Skype, Ventrilo, Whatever game I have open at the time. I usually have at least three of these programs running at once.

2. Games : The main game I play at the moment is Aion (mmorpg). I'd really like it if I could run the game on max settings without it stuttering or pausing on me.

These are AION's specs, as quoted from their support site:

Minimum System Specifications:

Microsoft Windows XP SP2
*2.8GHz CPU or equivalent
1GB RAM
NVIDIA 5900 Ultra with 128MB RAM / ATI x700 with 128MB RAM or higher
**15GB Hard Disk space
DVD-ROM drive
Direct X 9.0c (6/2008 update)
Sound Device
Broadband Internet Connection

Recommended System Specifications::

Microsoft Windows XP SP2 / Vista
*Dual Core CPU 2.0GHz or equivalent
2GB RAM
NVIDIA 6800 with 256MB RAM / ATI x800 with 256MB or higher
**15GB Hard Disk space
DVD-ROM drive
Direct X 9.0c (6/2008 update)
Sound Device
Broadband Internet Connection

3. A strong GPU & CPU & Ram There will be times that the machine will be really pushed to preform (when there are a lot of character models to load or character special attacks) with multiple 3D models and weather effects on. I really want to get the best I can with my money so the machine will hopefully: A. Survive me playing it for a couple of years B. Be able to play most games that are released.

4. At least a 500W PSU: Ok, 500W is pretty weak. Think of it as a minimum. Ideally, I'd like at least a 650W or 850W for it. The more powerful the better, as I'd imagine I'd want to upgrade the GPU in the next couple of years.

5. Decent Cooling Throughout the Case - I'd rather my parts not be nuked. If you know of a place that provides custom cooling options, I'd love to know of it.

6. Budget:I wouldn't say its too flexible, but things may be manageable if there is a payment plan available from the Manufacturer. I'm looking for computers at least in the range of $1000+

What I definitely don't want:

1. Bloatware: A computer with preinstalled bloatware. :blink: If there is an option to order the computer customized without bloatware, that is fine. I'd just rather not have to deal with having to do a reformat if say, Norton has a preinstall in there. Went through that once, never again.

2. Unhelpful Customer Service: I experienced ASUS tech support previously with the computer I returned. The only response I had gotten from them regarding my computer issue was that my computer was new and shouldn't be experiencing problems. Great help they were. Phone & online support need to be available.

3. On-Board Graphics Card: I'd rather not nuke my motherboard. That could get expensive to replace.

Thanks for helping me with this. Happy early Valentines day!

[edit] As a note, I'm not experienced with building computers so I would be unable to build it. D: However, I do like custom computers so if you know of any manufacturers that have customizable computers available...Please list em'! :D So far I only know of Velocity Micro...

Edited by TTC, 13 February 2010 - 07:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:10 PM

I'll comment on 2 things
Bloatware
As long as you buy a retail PC, there is no way around it
PC Decrapifier helps somewhat:
http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/download

Support
I like Dell
You cannot beat their support site once you learn how to navigate through it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:24 PM

I'll just add a comment...you'd be surprised how much snappier an OEM system can be...after a nuke of the old, followed by a clean install of the O/S.

Louis

#4 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:32 PM

I concur with Computer Masochist, Dell support is this easiest to deal with, thier support site is pretty easy to navigate.

Take a look the the Alienware Laptop, when you customize it you can leave the trash ware off.

Edited by ratchet48, 14 February 2010 - 04:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users