Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

task manager

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 igonuts2

igonuts2

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 03 September 2005 - 07:09 AM

XP/IE

i like the idea of monitering CPU usage. so i call it up and minimize it. it sits next to the clock and lets me know CPU activity.

but i'd like to,
1, have it enable to display on start up
2, without it also apearing down on the task bar

i only have 192mb ram (i know, it's small). i think it'll help my wife know when she's over tasking and programs are "not responding". but being availible in the task bar,it's vulnerable to my wife clicking on it when she's recalling many tasks. dont like that.

or is there a small free basic utility thats available that can help me monitor usage?

something that doesnt diplay on desk top. so it cant be hidden while tasking.

i know ultimately i gotta get more ram. 192mb ram just dont cut it these days.

ty muchly BC gang!

take your time, i still have a little stammina left. she keeps yelling at me to "unfreeze" (as she puts it) the pc!!! :thumbsup:
Why work when you can play!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 03 September 2005 - 07:59 AM

Hi igo

Why don't you look over the list here at MajorGeeks.com

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads14.html

Although you probably already do this.
I was just wondering if you have ran scan disc or de-fragged lately.
Doing so could help.

Also there is a wonderful little program that, cleans out all of the unneccessary junk that can clog up your system.

It is called CCleaner.
If you have never cleared out your temp files.
(Now by temp files, I am not speaking of temporary internet files.
two seperate things altogether.)
It could clear up quite a bit of space for you.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

CCleaner is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less that a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware! :thumbsup:

Just steer clear of the Issues option. As it involves the registery.
The windows option. Is the one that will help you.

LOL You may already do the above, too. Just thought I would give this info. a mention. Just in case. :flowers:

Edited by Scarlett, 03 September 2005 - 03:36 PM.

Posted Image

#3 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:40 PM

ty Scarlett,

iv,e done the pc maint stuff, and do it regulerly. (still not awake yet, yawn!)

im not tottaly clear yet on whats what at Maj geeks or CNET. thats why the task manager thing seemed good. just cant configure it the way i discribed.

that was a while ago and ive learned lots more since i last visited them (ty BC).

but ive aways stayed clear of tools (some) used at BC when applying them to my pc, un less directed. but ty for the info on CCleaner. i tyr it! :thumbsup:

(coffee, coffee, where my coffe llunasea?)

ty girl, i try, :flowers:

#4 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 03:51 PM

ty Scarlett,

wasnt awake last time. CCleaner did do a lotta ccleanin'. good program. i hadnt ever cleared out "temp files" ty fer the tip! i always need "just in case" help.

"Just steer clear of the Issues option. As it involves the registery.
The windows option. Is the one that will help you.
LOL You may already do the above, too. Just thought I would give this info. a mention. Just in case."

i really like that it lets you edit what you purge. it realy gets down to the nuts & bolts, and lets the user decide which nut or bolt to delete. cool!

ty for the link at maj geeks. one of those outta work for me.

just tossing a few names at me would have been fine. typical BC fashion, going that extra mile by narrowing the search, ty.

ty mam,

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 04:45 PM

I found all sorts of freeware on CNET downloads (utilities); most of these show up somewhere as a little bar so you can see the changes to usage as you actually compute.
E.g.:
http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/PowwwerSoft...tml?tag=lst-0-7
This one is very small and looks like a car speedometer:
http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3D-CPU-Mete...tml?tag=lst-0-8

I could not find one, however, that seemed to fit your requirements.
Sorry,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 04 September 2005 - 04:54 PM

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for igo, but this is a program I use to monitor my comp.
You can also customize the readings you want displayed.
It's a 257k download.
The app uses 196k.
It can also be set to run at startup.
NetStat Live
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:48 PM

that has always been a concern of mine tg. being a noob still, i dont always know what i want (name) or need.

in a nutshell, i just want some little kind of guage or indicator, that won't get covered up when using IE. something that can tell us if the pc is working on a given task, dynamicaly. to be honest, i dont even know if it's the CPU activity i should be monitoring.

we just do too many thing at the same time and we sometimes end up waiting forever, for not. something that can give us an indication that the programs are frozen and not responding anymore.

anyway i did dl CPUUsage (here) from Scarletts link.

will this do what i need it to do?

dont think i have a connection issue. its DSL, and XP usually presents a balloon from the trey icon, if changes take place, with lan info. 100.0Mbps is good right?

i am an ex auto and jet mechanic, the "car speedometer" form Johns imput sounds cool.

but is it the CPU i should be monitoring?

we don't game, just surf, email, and store pics, docs and such. 32.5 gig hd and 22.5 free.

y'all are great!

do let me know if im using the right tool.

thx,
igo

Edited by igonuts2, 04 September 2005 - 11:17 PM.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2005 - 07:34 AM

I monitor my computers by watching the internet connection, the hard drive light and CPU usage. I watch the internet connection using the modem and router lights and , like tg1911, NetStat Live. If the hard drive light is flashing then you know something is going on. I rarely look at my CPU usage but use NetStat for that.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2005 - 03:33 PM

Have you checked the homepage of CPUUsage?
There's a little bit more info on the program, and screenshots.
Might help you to make a decission.

It sounds like you want to be able to monitor the Processes tab, in the Task Manager.
I don't know of anything, for that.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#10 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:48 PM

ty all,

i did check out CPUUsage home pg,
i checked out everyones suggestions and ended up with CPUUsage from the Geeks. first on the list of possibles. simple apps for my level of pc skill.

the programs options are available throught the little tool trey icon so i delete the desktop icon, and i'm left with every thing i wanted.

any more real time monitoring of other functions would be lost on me. working on changing that though.

as i was typing this i started thinking if the issues i've addressed here may have a connection with what i thought was another issue all together here.

not to work two threads. just thinking.

i've actualy been studying fire wall logs lately. NetStat Live looks like it could be a great educational tool. something to chew on.

jgweed sir,
i think you nailed it. covered both ends of the spectrum. bare bones basic and high end bells and whistles for free.

get my feet wet with CPUUsage and dive into the others.

thank you all

igo

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:50 PM

Good luck, igo.
Hope it works out for you.
Let us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users