Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSI GD80 "CMOS" button

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 koolkev

koolkev

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:07 PM

Here is what happened, when I was just about ready to power on the computer after being built, I first had the ram in the wrong spot as well as the cpu fan was not plug in. Of course I powered it on, it didn't hurt anything, however I was under the impression the clear cmos button was okay to press while on. That was my fault for having it the wrong way. I remedied the the cpu fan/memory slots. My main question is, in the early stages of posting the motherboard, would shutting the pc down using this button only 2 or 3 times have any ill effect on the motherboard/power supply/ any internal hardware? I wont do it ever again, that is for sure.

Also the board seems to be working fine, I will list specs below just for reference, also i did notice that sometimes after I save in the bios, it will shut down automatically really fast, and other times it does not. Any help would be appreciated.

MSI GD80 AM3 1156 socket
Intel i5 750 @2.6 mhz/Zalman 9900
Western D. Caviar Black 1TB
Corsair TX 750W
Memorex DVD Multi
EVGA Geforce 9800 GT 1GB
HT Omega Claro+

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:24 PM

would shutting the pc down using this button only 2 or 3 times have any ill effect on the motherboard/power supply/ any internal hardware?

My grandson found the reset switch on my Abit board, on the back of the computer
I have not had any problems afterwards
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 koolkev

koolkev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:30 PM

Okay, good deal, It just bothered me to think that my brand new Gd80 is ruined because I did not read the manual, and you know what, if something does occur I accept responsibility for it. Thank You

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users