Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs take ages to load when network cable is plugged in

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Graham Sumner

Graham Sumner

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:02 PM

Hi,

Im not sure where to start here. My xp pro laptop sp3 runs fine until I plug in the network cable. Then the hard drive light comes on and seems to stay on. Programs take much much longer to load and the hard drive seems to go one forever.

I've :-

chkdsk'ed
Defragged
Virus checked ( with several different checkers )
Ran several anti malware programs

Before I throw this to the malware guys, Is there anything I can try with networking to see whats going on? Perhaps its the network card failing or something.

Hope someone can help

Thanks
Graham

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:03 PM

One possibility is software updaters, Windows Update and others, that are kicking in on connection and downloading in the background. LAN errors could certainly cause the machine to slow down but usually won't hit the disk unless they are being logged. You might check the system logs for clues. You could also grab a copy of TCPView from SysInternals and fire it up before connecting the wire. It should show you all of the incoming and outgoing connections and help chase down the suspects.

#3 eladg

eladg

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:20 PM

That's true. many programs check for updates as soon as the computer is connected to the internet. I know Quickbooks is always running in the background checking for updates. So check the task manager and see what is taking up the most resources.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users