Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CODEC virus of some kind

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 FRL

FRL

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:42 PM

I think I have a CODEC virus, but not one I have found anywhere with Google.

Not only does it pop up an error, it also causes a program fault when I run McAfee or SpyBot. I am able to run MalwareBytes, but it doesn't find anything. When the error pops up it gives me the dialog for sending an error to MicrooSoft, but this dialog is fake. You can't cancel it. Then it tells me I need to re-load my system Codec. It sends me to hxxp://system-codec.com/index.php?id=42

It also pops up an error message:

"Multimedia Device Not Recognized
One of the Multimedia devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. To resolve this issue please install System Media Codec. Click this message to install the codec"

It also has changed my screen resolution. I can't access the control pannel to fix this. It causes a program fault. Basically I can't do anything.

Please help!!

Edited by Orange Blossom, 13 February 2010 - 05:47 PM.
Deactivate link and move to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FRL

FRL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:30 AM

I am running XP and it is up to date, but I stuck with IE 6.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users