Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro Won't Boot!! Please help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nwforester

nwforester

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:35 PM

Got some sort of virus a few weeks back. Started getting blue screens saying Page Fault Area. Ran manual rollback from Recovery Console, didn't work. Ran XP repair install. Then the error changed to a non-specific, just codes. I'm getting 0x0000007e (0xC0000005 0x1FCBCC95 0xF789E534 oxFF89E234)

Ran memtest on RAM, and found some errors. Bought new RAM, didn't do anything. I've run AntiVir Rescue to detect and rename virus files, but the log did report that it couldn't access boot records. I can boot with BartPE, but I have no idea what to do. Anyone got any advice? Please????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nwforester

nwforester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:37 PM

Should probably state that the blue screen appears after Windows logo. Can't boot to Safe Mode either. Blue Screen appears after JGOGO driver loads (or tries to load).

It's an ASUS mobo with AMD processor. Blue Screen says to disable RAM cache, but I can't find a way to do that in my BIOS. Looked everywhere.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:48 PM

7E STOP errors: There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

As for Memtest, I hope you ran Memtest86+, version 4.00, http://www.memtest.org/#downiso. Older versions have been known to be subject to error, questioning the reliability of using such.

When testing RAM, any errors at all indicate a problem. The hard work comes in trying to determine just why the problem appears...it's not as simple as writing a given module off.

FWIW: Icrontic Diagnose with Memtest86+ - http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86

The fact that you think you had a malware situation...is confusing. BSODs occur every day and they are not necessarily caused by malware...but they can be attributed to malware or hardware or software or O/S problems (depends on situation).

Louis

#4 nwforester

nwforester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:58 PM

Computer was working fine for years. Didn't add new hardware or anything that would interfere.

I did run the most current MemTest.

The virus really ate some stuff up. Got all kinds of AntiVir warnings before Blue Screen started. Tried Deleting/Quarantining files. But I think something got into the registry? Don't know. I tried to roll the comp back to a week before the error. Nothing.

Same error. Just won't friggin' boot. Tried running FIXBOOT and FIXMBR, too. Nothing.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:25 PM

Well...a clean install eliminates the unknown fears that you may constantly have, even if you can get this install to eliminate some of the quirks.

The idea of unknown malware combined with unknown damage to system functions...would be enough for me to dump everything and start off with a known good system that is not impeded by (possibly) by malware impacts.

Not to mention the fact that your system security could have been compromised.

Louis

#6 nwforester

nwforester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:00 PM

There's gotta be a way to get this back up and running, right?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:51 PM

I don't know, since I don't really have any feel for what "the problem" might be.

Maybe others here have a clue, I've stated my ideas.

You've stated that you have an infected system...and at least 1 STOP error. The infected system should be the priority and this is not one of the forums for attempting resolution of malware issues here at BC.

You've tried many of the normal commands used to repair XP from the Recovery Console...and you've tried a repair install.

And...your problems may be hardware-related.

I don't have a "cure", maybe others have suggestions.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users