Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fans Working But computer cannot post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 david92ng

david92ng

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:26 PM

Hey,

While I was cleaning up my computer fans and moving my PSU wires and tieing them down to the case, My computer wouldnt start up anymore. Ususally if i plug something wrong, the fans would twitch and nothing would happen. But in this case, all my fans are spinning, all my USB ports are getting power but it would not complete POST.

I tried moving the ram to another slot, reseating it, reseating the CPU.
Rechecking all power connections.

but found nothing wrong.

During my analysis, i suspected a short circuit somewhere on the MB or my cpu or my graphics card(my mb doesnt have onboard gpu so it is possible to fail startup without any gpu in pci-ex16 slot.)

The problem is that i do not have any parts/tools to check for these failures. i mean the only way to check the mb is to remove all the ram and if i hear a continous beeping sound meaning no memory is installed, my mb works. BUT i do not have an internal speaker installed so i dont get any feedback at all. to check my cpu is to try another working cpu in that slot.

I notice as soon as i turn on my computer, the HD activity light remains off and I cant open my CD Drive at all.
I can open it only if the IDE cable is not connected so this must somehow be related to post. Also If you hold down the power button +5seconds it will NOT shut down.

My specs:

Gigabyte MA77O-US3 MotherBorad ( Got in HK, how do i get RMA from gigabyte for this -.-" )
4Gigs(2x2gb) OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400
AMD Athlon™ II X2 240
WIN 7 x64
Colourful Nvidia 9800gt
OCZ 500W ModXStream Pro Power Supply

This is my 6th month since i bought it.

Thank you and happy lunar new year!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 david92ng

david92ng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:42 PM

any input?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:14 PM

You will need to contact Gigabyte support to get a RMA number
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/ServiceCenter.aspx
Didn't find a phone number

Reseat the CPU again, but while it's out turn on the computer, turn the computer on
Does it still continue to run? If yes, it's the processor
Don't forget to replace the thermal compound when putting the heatsink back on

Another possibility, although slim, is when pressing the memory and heatsink back in place you grounded out the motherboard
I know a guy who pressed so hard when attaching the heatsink that he damaged the board

Edited by garmanma, 15 February 2010 - 01:14 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 david92ng

david92ng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:35 PM

... so you are saying i should leave my cpu out of the socket and if it still spins up it is totally the cpu?

that just doesn't sound right.

I got myself a internal speaker. It doesnt beep at all even when the ram is out.
this means the MB is dead. omggggg thats going to cause alot of trouble since i got

OEM windows.

and since im a student with no money.

im more broke than eveerrrr.

Im waiting for a POST diagnostic card to arrive in a week to be absolutely sure.
right now im 50/50 on MB and CPU with a 2% on GPU.

Edited by david92ng, 15 February 2010 - 07:37 PM.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:11 PM

OK lets go back to basics 101.

Any time you enter your desktop case always take proper precautions against ESD, Always stay grounded to computer case and unplug the AC power cord from PSU and unplug any devices such as AC powered monitors.

You should recheck your ATX power harness connector on the motherboard, to make sure it is locked into place and making full contact.

Make sure all disk drive power connectors are properly pushed into all drives (hard drives and optical drives)

Make sure all E-IDE and SATA data wires are properly connected and making full contact with mating pins.

Make sure all riser (add-on) cards are frimly seated into their slots. (includes any PCI-E, PCI or AGP cards)

Make sure there are no areas of the mainboard that might be shorted out to the computers case through the board's stand-off's or any add-on card's back-plating.

Generally just make sure all plugs are firmly seated in their sockets and be careful not to stress or flex the mainboard!

This info may be a little too late.

But I hope performing the above instructions, brings your mainboard back to good health again!

Lets us know how you made out.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:27 PM

I retract my statement
If you pull the CPU and it still starts and runs, it is the CPU that is faulty

Edited by garmanma, 15 February 2010 - 10:34 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 david92ng

david92ng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:12 PM

OK GUYS I GOT NEW INFO.

I got a POST Diagnostic card. When booting it will return postcode FF.

I Also got a working internal speaker. It returns LONG continous beep. On gigabyte's manual, that means graphic card is loose please reseat. After taking it out and giving it to friends for testing. They got the same symptoms but they could at least boot somewhat successfully.

Friend one.
It was booting windows properly but you cant see anything.

Friend two.
Failed to boot and failed to draw anything too.

SO at this point i thought it was totally the GPU.

But after i borrowed my brother's working 8600gt. It gave the exact same symptoms. Fans spin up but no boot at all. with Postcode FF.

Right now i am 95% certain about GPU and it has to be the CPU or MB that is faulty. I had other ram to switch out so im certain. The idea of two parts broken is giving me a headache -.-"

so i need to test MB or CPU.
btw I dont think booting without cpu would work because you need a processor in order to pass POST. so if that person would clarify the instructions.

Thanks.

Edited by david92ng, 07 March 2010 - 07:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users