Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet disconnects when screen shuts down

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jeffee

jeffee

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:37 PM

I posted this in the W7 forum, but maybe this would be a better place for it. My apologies if this is against protocol.

Hello,
My DSL connection through the ethernet port disconnects when my screen shuts down. Is there any way to set it so that I stay conected even after the screen shuts down? I like to have the screen shut down after a few minutes of inactivity to save power. I'm using a new Lenovo thinkpad T400 with windows 7. Thanks kindly in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,258 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:16 PM

DSL is supposed to be an always-on connection. It exists (theoretically) as long as the system is capable of receiving power and the appropriate software is installed.

<<I like to have the screen shut down after a few minutes of inactivity to save power.>>

Are you just shutting down the monitor...or are you shutting the entire system down...in your power-saving efforts?

If your broadband connection terminates, I would say that you are closing the system down.

Are you using hibernation/standby?

Louis

#3 jeffee

jeffee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:42 PM

Thanks. It disconnects when the computer sleeps, yes. But it also disconnects when only the display shuts down (I have that set to do to save power) and the computer is still 'awake' -- hard drive still spinning. It may actually be disconnecting when I hit a key to turn the display back on -- I can't tell.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:54 PM

What you're talking about is the Ethernet card is going to sleep.

Here's what you do.

Go to control panel.

Look for Device Manager

Look for network adaptors

Right click your Ethernet adaptor.

Look for and click Properties at bottom of menu.

Look for Power Managment tab.

Uncheck "Allow computer to control this device to save power" Then click OK.

You should be good to go!

Edited by MrBruce1959, 13 February 2010 - 04:55 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 jeffee

jeffee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:59 PM

What you're talking about is the Ethernet card is going to sleep.

Here's what you do.

Go to control panel.

Look for Device Manager

Look for network adaptors

Right click your Ethernet adaptor.

Look for and click Properties at bottom of menu.

Look for Power Managment tab.

Uncheck "Allow computer to control this device to save power" Then click OK.

You should be good to go!

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, but I tried that and the problem still persists!

#6 jeffee

jeffee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:50 AM

Update to what I have tracked down about this problem:

My DSL connection (which needs name and password initially to connect) gets disconnected, not when the display shuts down, but AT THE MOMENT THE DISPLAY STARTS UP after it has shut down. In other words when I move the track pad or hit any key, to start up the screen again, my DSL connection disconnects, and I have to 'redial'. I'm assuming this is from a momentary loss of power (?) to the ethernet adapter/port on my laptop, a new Thinkpad T400, running Windows 7. Anybody have any suggestions?

I have also posted about this in the Windows 7 forum; I'm not sure which forum is appropriate. If this is against protocol, I do apologize!

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users