Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GoBack Boot Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 statalovich

statalovich

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:04 AM

My computer with two 250GB hard drives (C:/ and D:/ drives, where the C:/drive is the boot drive) failed to boot and I got a blue screen citing a GoBack error "genlog181"
Computer would not reboot.
I needed my C:/Drive data back - my life was on there (work and personal).
I spent about $700 to get data recovery and got almost everything back (enough to satisfy me anyway). I was told they needed to take the drive apart. Ouch... whatever

Now, 6 months later I want my pictures and movies back from my D:/ drive (the other hard drive, which is not a bootable drive); but I don't want to spend another $700 (what a gaff).

My D:/drive hard drive cannot be plugged into another computer to retrieve data, to the best of my ability. Despite that it is not a boot drive it is acting just like my C:/ drive was before I sent it in for data recovery.

When I got my C:/ drive back it worked great. I reformatted and reloaded Windows XP Pro. OS. And I'm running off that drive, now (without Goback).

When I plug the D:/ drive into a working computer, I can see the drive in System/Device Manager and also in the CMOS program by hitting F2 at startup. But, there is no assigned drive letter in the running operating system, and I cannot seem to get access to the data. Tried several things 6 monhts ago, but can't remember what all I tried. I'm an civil engineer, not a computer guy.

Norton (who put out the GoBack software with their System Works Program many years ago) is not helpful, their website sucks on this issue (it's borderline dismissive - probably afraid of class action) and there is not much on the internet on this issue either. But, I have seen where several people have had similar problems.

Any ideas to recover my data? I do not have my bootable C:/ drive anymore, so no chance of recovering the program here.

I just want the data off my D:/ drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:19 AM

Did you try the F8 key and the Last Known Good Configuration or will it go into Safe mode? Also when you connect your hard drive to the other computer, do you know you have to change the drive settings with the jumper from master to slave.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:16 PM

<<My D:/drive hard drive cannot be plugged into another computer to retrieve data...>>

Seems to be contradicted by <<When I plug the D:/ drive into a working computer...>>

What's up with those two statements?

<<Any ideas to recover my data?>>

I would try inexpensive data recovery software (less than $100). I don't quite have confidence in free recovery software that I do have in the paid versions I've tried.

Are the files on D: compressed? Are they Go Back backups?

FWIW: You spent X dollars for physical recovery using one ot the expensive organizations...did you spend less than $100 or so on either backup software, cloning software, or an additional hard drive?

In other words...did you take any preventive measures...to eliminate recurrence?

Louis

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:22 PM

right click my computer and go to manage-disk management. Is the disk shown in there? if it is you may need to either import or initialize the disk before the OS can access it to retieve the data.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 alan12345

alan12345

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:24 PM

I had an external USB2 connected drive with 6 drive letters.

Suddenly there were none.

Cured it with Computer Management / Storage / Disk Management.

That showed I still had the drive, and it still had 6 healthy partitions, they just had no letters assigned.

Then I selected each partition in turn and used the "Change Drive Letter ..." option.

Drive Letters seem to be a Windows thing - Linux type boot CD's leave me guessing.
I suspect the Drive letters are recorded in the Windows registry,
so when you supplied only C:\ for data recovery the "experts" rebuilt the system,
and the registry never saw your data drive, hence the current absence of a drive letter.

Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users