Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Antispyware 2010

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wdkoseck

wdkoseck

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:30 AM

How do I get rid of XP Antispyware 2010?

I downloaded the file for removing XP Antispyware 2009 but it will not run - I can not get on the internet from the infected pc because it keeps blocking my connections.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:45 AM

Are you talking about Malwarebytes?

Try using Task Manager to end process on Antispyware 2010 before running Malwarebytes. You might also try running it in Safe Mode.

#3 wdkoseck

wdkoseck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:52 AM

Yes - I think that is the program.

I started my pc in safe mode and tried running the program but the antispyware 2010 keeps starting.

I ended the av.exe process that is running but when I re-run the malware bytes program the av.exe program starts up again.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:23 AM

Have you seen Removal Guide?

Louis

#5 wdkoseck

wdkoseck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:29 AM

I found it a few minutes ago - changing the extension to .com allowed me to start the program and install it.

I just changed the executable to .com as well and the scan is running.

Hopefully this will fix the problem.

Thanks

#6 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:38 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...irus-vista-2010

Check out this link here at bleepingcomputer, I used it yesterday on antivirus vista 2010 and it worked perfect. Look at the programs it listed, hopefully it will work for you too.

#7 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:21 PM

Cool, once you get rid of that nastie you might want to read How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again! :thumbsup:

#8 wdkoseck

wdkoseck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:55 PM

The sad thing is that All of my anti-virus programs are up to date - Norton 360 did not catch this. I don't click on popups, visit crack sites, adult sites, etc...

I am at a total loss as to how this got on my machine. The only thing I did yesterday when this happened was to install updates from Microsoft. My wife uses her laptop and my boys do not touch this machine unless I am around.

I need to see what 's going on with the machine now to make sure it does not happen again.

I need to re-run all my anti-spyware programs and make sure nothing else is out there.

I have one small problem still but won't know if it is fixed until after I run all my scans.

Thanks

#9 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:35 PM

I have 2 boys, and use OpenDNS, to keep the youngest from temptation and the oldest off bad sites. I set the "Web Content Filtering" to Low and have not had any problems.

#10 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:29 PM

These are fake antivirus and spyware programs, and I have seen them pop up just from visiting normal sites. Keep Malwarebytes handy and if it happens again, run it immediately (full scan with updates). I have seen an increase of this type of infection lately.
It popped up on my daughter while she was on facebook and in her photo's of friends, she went to enlarge a picture and it popped up on hers. I dont' know that any antivirus programs are actually stopping these from running. But the sooner you catch it the better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users