Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IBM T43 Laptop - Black Screen Problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dirtydavis

dirtydavis

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:54 AM

Hi Guys, i have a IBM T43 laptop, running Windows XP.
All of a sudden i have been having this problem and i can't figure out how to resolve it without losing my data on the laptop.

Basically, i'll turn on the laptop, it will boot normally, go through the login process fine, i'll plug in my password, i get the windows welcome sound, and then the screen goes black when tryig to "load personal setting".
When it's trying to load the desktop i get nothing. all i see is a black screen, no icons, no start button. i can see the cursor and i can move it around with the mouse etc... but nothing to click.

Can someone help me?

Thanks

Edited by dirtydavis, 13 February 2010 - 08:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:04 AM

Try hittting the F8 key just before windows loads. Let me know if you can get into safemode successfully.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 dirtydavis

dirtydavis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:11 AM

Try hittting the F8 key just before windows loads. Let me know if you can get into safemode successfully.

Thanks, I just tried the safe-mode thing you suggested. Same problem. I can login no problem, but when it gets to the desktop, nothing loads.... only the cursor is visible.
P.S. not sure if this makes a difference or not, but this is XP Pro (Service Pack 3)

Thanks for your help.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,745 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:06 PM

Sounds to me as if your user profile may be damaged.

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

I might try the above...or at least create a new profile and see how that one works.

Louis

#5 dirtydavis

dirtydavis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:43 PM

Sounds to me as if your user profile may be damaged.

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

I might try the above...or at least create a new profile and see how that one works.

Louis

I tried your suggestion.
But, it is impossible for me to create a new profile, because i can't log into my desktop. I have 2users on this laptop and i tried to get in on both of them, nothing worked and i tried safemode, that didnt work either.

anything else?
please, I have alot of important docs on this machine and i need to gain access.....
please help

#6 dirtydavis

dirtydavis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:05 PM

Guys, i tried to hit CTRL + ALT + Delete and i get the "Task Manager Window to pop up, but it sows no Applications running andit is all blank. does this mean anything to anyone?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,745 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:22 PM

IMO, it just verifies what we all know...something is wrong.

But it doesn't indicate what exactly is wrong, could be many things.

You can attempt to recover data files...by removing the hard drive and attaching it via USB 2.0 to another system...and moving your data files from one to the other.

Louis

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:11 PM

I just finished up a Thinkpad yesterday
What a nightmare. IBM/Lenovo doesn't make anything easy
I would recover the files as Louis suggested and start over
Hopefully you saved the disks that came with the laptop or the recovery partition is intact
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 balkrish999

balkrish999

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:15 AM

Hello i had the same problem recently i did 1 steps try this

first try

go on safe mode

if that dont work

when that black screen comes press ctrl alt del

open a new task

and type in exactly this - ( explorer.exe )

the thing inside the brackets

when u do this w8 altleast 1 min it should come back mine did :thumbsup::):flowers: i have this probleme

#10 dirtydavis

dirtydavis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:57 AM

Thanks for all the help guys.
It was definately the (explorer.exe) problem that balkrish999 said.

I was able to get onto my desktop and back up all my files and i wiped it cleand and reinstalled Windows XP Pro.
Now i have another problem that i would appreciate some help with. I can't get the WIRELESS RADIO to turn on.

I tried FN+F5 and nothing happens. i went to Lenovo.com for drivers and installed them, still nothing happens, i even went to Centrino's website to get their Intel PROSet/Wireless Wifi Utility and drivers. i installed them, i can see the WIFI icon in the system tray, but it has a red X over it and says "driver not installed"

I can't figure out how to get back onto the internet with my T43...... can anyone please tell me what i'm doing wrong?
Does anyone know how to get the WiFi radio ON?
Please help.

Thanks

#11 balkrish999

balkrish999

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:41 AM

glad i helped you im new here and had the same probelm a weeks age im sorry i cant help with the wireless problem :thumbsup::):flowers::): but u still have got your files back them and

u might wana try this contact them and tell them ur prbme if ur under warrenty theyll help u

Edited by balkrish999, 16 February 2010 - 03:44 AM.

#12 dirtydavis

dirtydavis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:31 AM

I called IBM/Lenovo tech support.
not under warranty, they will not help..... and were quite rude infact.
any other suggestions???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users