Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE & Fox Random Crashes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rich G.

Rich G.

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:52 AM

For a few months I have been getting random crashes with IE or Fox. All software is up to date and system is scanned everyday with BitDefender. Spybot is run once a week. I may go for days without having a browser lockup----then I'll get one or two on the same day. I have looked around----everything seems to be OK. Any observations or comments would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rich G.

Rich G.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:07 AM

I use Firefox, and I have gave up on Adobe so I use Foxit Reader. I read in another post the suggestion was to change the program used to open PDFs from a Firefox Plug-in to "Foxit Reader, the Best Reader for Everyday Use". This seems to solve the problem. I'd like to close this report as solved.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:29 PM

How much ram do you have on your computer?

#4 Rich G.

Rich G.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:29 PM

4G. As this appears to be the only issue---no other program are having problems, and it was solved by changing the app for the .pdf extension, it appears the PDF plug-in for firefox has problems.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:34 PM

4G. As this appears to be the only issue---no other program are having problems, and it was solved by changing the app for the .pdf extension, it appears the PDF plug-in for firefox has problems.

I would remove Adobe then try it again.

Can you list your system specs?

#6 Rich G.

Rich G.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:03 PM

Adobe Was removed a while back. I got tired of Secunia telling me I had to update Adobe--two versions. Since I made the extension change I have downloaded a few PDF's without the infamous "Server Busy" app running and not retiring.

AI am currently running an Intel quad processor, 2.40 GHz, 64-bit, Vista Pro. I upgraded last year from XP to Vista to run one program---Studio Plus. It had a lot of trouble with XP, but none with Vista. Based upon all the stories I was reading, I was expecting a lot of issues in the upgrade---I had none.

I think the issue has been solved, and the solution makes sense.

Now if I could Find a replacement for Adobe Flash----I would be VERY happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users