Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add/remove windows components

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Surma

Surma

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:53 AM

I have in another thread been trying to get rid of some minor annoyances concerning Windows live id. Among other stuff i used add/remove windows components in the add/remove programs menu. I checked Windows messenger and MSN Explorer, it did some stuff, and also removed Outlook express, Windows media player, Internet Explorer, calc.exe and all the in-built games. Some of these were options with tick boxes, but i only selected messenger and MSN. What has happened? I have had no problem restoring all of the above, IExplorer, Outlook and Media Player could easily be reinstalled using add/remove components, put i cant help but wonder what else is gone. I restored calc and the games by copying the corresponding .exe's from another Windows XP, so you dont have to worry about that. The items in the list are: Other file- and writer services for network, Fax service, Indexing service, Internet Explorer, MSN Explorer, Network Services, Outlook Express, Additions and tools, Updating of root certificate, Tool for handling and surveillance, Windows media player and Windows messenger,
---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:05 AM

If I believe that Windows is removing functions which are part of it...then I'd have to conclude that you need to do a clean install, since this is obviously not the way Windows works when in good shape.

Or...I might assume that your system has become impaired via malware., which comes around pretty much to the same suggestion as the first instance.

At the very least...I would suggest running a repair install of XP, to see if that can correct whatever has taken place...as well as doing several scans for malware before attempting such repair.

I'd also check Event Viewer for the last five most recent errors noted, as I look for clues to what is going on.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

I would also have concerns about possible hardware problems.

Louis

#3 Surma

Surma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:19 AM

I have determined what the problem was. Apparently, the components that you have checked are the ones it will either attempt to install if they are not installed or keep if they are installed. The non-checked components are the ones it will remove if they are installed or not install if they are not installed. The description said "check the components you want to add/remove which i interpreted as that it would remove the checked components if they were installed and add if they werent, and it would completely ignore any un-checked components. So is just ms that cant give a comprehendable explaination of how to use their tools. So i you check it it means "i want this" and if you havent checked it it means "i dont want this" silly software...
---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:20 AM

You are correct...that's how Add/Remove works when it comes to Windows components :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users