Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Help

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Lillithanne

Lillithanne

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:07 AM

Hello,

I just installed windows 7 on a brand new.... newly partitioned 1 TB HD.

Needless to say, I cannot find my original install disk for my Airlink wireless PCI Adapter and Windows 7 will not recognize it. Not to mention the disk wouldn't have had any updated drivers either...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! I really want to be able to access the internet from Windows 7 asap.

Thanks very much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:55 AM

i have googled Airlink wireless PCI Adapter trouble is there are several model numbers so I cant point you in the right direction.

So my suggestion is to google this phrase >>>>>> Airlink wireless PCI Adapter

Please be careful where you go with your quest as many sites are just links to driver download programs that don't work unless you pay $39.95 for crapware :trumpet: that does not point you to the right drivers! :thumbsup: I won't name the programs but you'll run into them, trust me!

Keep searching though, you can get the RIGHT driver for FREE!! :flowers:

Edited by MrBruce1959, 13 February 2010 - 03:02 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:36 AM

Don't just go to any site for drivers. You need the manufacturer's website.

I'm assuming that this one is it, but you'll need to confirm that yourself.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 Lillithanne

Lillithanne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:07 PM

Thanks very much for the replies.

I can't access the internet from the new HD, so at the risk of sounding clueless...what do I do? I went to Airlink last night and copied what I believe are the right drivers but utilizing them isn't so clear. What do I do next and how do I get the drivers to download correctly from the cd to where they need to be to work?

I also downloaded the drivers from your link keyboard Ninja...and sent them to the new HD.... still didn't work. I got an initial message that I needed Windows xp..vista...etc.... ignored that and downloaded them anyway but still no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much!!!!

Edited by Lillithanne, 13 February 2010 - 04:00 PM.

#5 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:36 PM

Hi Lillithanne,

You may first establish internet connection by connecting the computer wired/hard cored to internet. At times Windows can find the right driver and install it on line.

Also you can download and run Unknown Device Identifier 7.00 to find the specifications about your Wireless adapter. That would give the info needed to find the right driver.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:51 PM

I agree with Farbar The links I came up with was the same as Lillithanne's Airlink 101 link she posted but then I realized I dont even know what adaptor you have whether it is a B---G or N, so that is why I suggested you google that wording I posted because the first 12 hits I got were from the Airlink 101 web site.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 14 February 2010 - 08:46 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:53 PM

driver genius finds them and updates them for you.

#8 Lillithanne

Lillithanne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:26 PM

Farbar,

Thank you very much .... using UDI I found what I believe are the specs on the wireless adapter:

@system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys,#640;Network Controller [UNKNOWN DEVICE]
Chip: Ralink Technology RT2600 802.11 MIMO
Detail
PnpID
VEN_1814&DEV_0401&SUBSYS_001617F9&REV_00
Vendor

Device
@system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys,#640;Network Controller
Chip Vendor
Ralink Technology
Chip
RT2600 802.11 MIMO

I tried searching Railink Technology RT2600 802.11 MIMO....but came up empty

Thank you Thrillhouse for the tip, I'll check into driver genius, too.

And, Thanks to you too Mr. Bruce! I really appreciate all the help very much!!!!!!!!!

I know there must be a simple fix and it's my lack of knowledge that's keeping me from making that vital connection between the hardware and the software...Your assistance and enlightenment is really appreciated!!!!

#9 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,716 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:45 PM

I believe you can download this driver.

Before installing it make a Restore Point to be able to restore the system if the driver didn't work.

To set a new restore point:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next".
  • Give the Restore Point a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
Then install the driver.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

Before installing it make a Restore Point to be able to restore the system if the driver didn't work.

• Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next".
  • Give the Restore Point a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
Then install the driver.

Isn't this driver for a wireless USB adaptor? I'm not 100% positive, but I think her card is a PCI wireless adaptor.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 14 February 2010 - 05:48 PM.

#11 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,716 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:00 AM

It looks this covers all the RT2600 chipset series. But as I mentioned it is good to have the system restore to reverse the installation as I'm not sure either.

#12 Lillithanne

Lillithanne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:30 PM

It looks this covers all the RT2600 chipset series. But as I mentioned it is good to have the system restore to reverse the installation as I'm not sure either.

Thanks Farbar...I will try it and let you know how it goes.

Thank you so much! You've become a genuine pal to me and I so appreciate your help!!!

: ) :thumbsup: :flowers:

#13 Lillithanne

Lillithanne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:09 PM

Then install the driver.

Isn't this driver for a wireless USB adaptor? I'm not 100% positive, but I think her card is a PCI wireless adaptor.

Thanks Mr. Bruce, .... doesn't matter either way.... as the link doesn't seem to work. : ( I'd gone to the Ralink site when looking around, but couldn't figure out which to download because of how they're classified.
....this is so frustrating.... you'd think it would be easier to get your new operating system to work.....

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:17 PM

Ok in order to help you, I am afraid you will have to open your computer and extract that PCI card so you can give us some info off of the sticker that is stuck to the card.

That is the only way we can point you to the right drivers to make your card work.

Experimenting with unknown drivers can cause big issues including system not booting.

Please let us know if you need written instructions on how to perform this task and what safety precautions you need to take.

Once you have the product info, including the FCC I.D. # and post it here, we can find the suitable drivers for your PCI card.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 17 February 2010 - 04:34 PM.

#15 Lillithanne

Lillithanne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:40 PM

I can do that...in fact, I had done it to check the name on the card before I loaded windows 7...so I could try and find the cd I couldn't remember if it was a linksys or the Airlink........

Anyway.....right after I replaced the last screw....I think....you know... I prolly should have written down the info off that thing!!!! :flowers: :inlove: :trumpet: :thumbsup: !!!! :cool:

I will take it out a bit later and report back.

Thanks so much Mr. Bruce!!!

:woot:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users