Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mrdisaster24

mrdisaster24

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:41 AM

Hey.
I have a Dell Inspiron 531 Desktop. It's an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+. I wanted to change the graphics card it had, the previous one was the standard on-board Intel card. I bought myself a Nvidia GeForce 9400GT. The power supply for my PC is 300W. Now after installing the card, sometimes my monitor goes into standby mode all of a sudden but the PC stays on and then I have to restart the computer. After I restart my computer I have about 10 minutes until the monitor goes back into standby mode. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the power supply or is it that my PC is just heating up. It used to happen before I installed the card as well when I would stream movies or play games.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:14 AM

:thumbsup: To BC.com

You mention you have an on-board video card.

Your computer might now be running Dual monitor mode, meaning although your monitor is hooked up to the add-on Nvidia Geforce 9400GT video card, your on-board Intel video processor may still be processing video. Since it has less memory and slower video frame rates, it can cause bottle-necking and system crashes to occur.

Check your BIOS setup utility to see if there is an option to disable the on-board video processor or check your motherboard manual for more details.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 13 February 2010 - 03:19 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 mrdisaster24

mrdisaster24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:27 PM

thanks, I'll take a look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users