Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very interesting W7 article!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:51 PM

KB97 1033 is not just your ordinary update!!! A must read for W7 owners!

http://lauren.vortex.com/

Edited by OldPhil, 12 February 2010 - 09:51 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:58 AM

Thanks for sharing with us Phil! :huh:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Lillithanne

Lillithanne

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:24 AM

Thanks for this post. I really appreciate the information! :huh:

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:43 AM

Layback Bear had also posted on this in this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/295188/windows-7-update-kb971033/

Having thought about it and read responses we who do not try to cheat have no worries!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 RWA3

RWA3

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:25 PM

Authentic Windows 7 user here...hopefully I have no worries from this update. Like OldPhil said,and if I read the article correctly,If you are legit you should'nt have anything to worry about. :huh:

#6 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:09 AM

The point of Layback Bear's post is not to complain about whether MS is checking for pirated software. It is to ask:

"Why, if an installation is legal when purchased does it need to be checked again 90 days from now?."

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:24 AM

If the installation is indeed legal, it doesn't. But an installation that seemed legal but in fact wasn't, may be discovered later when MS becomes aware of a new way to detect the crack. The only way to find the small number of pirated installs that were missed on the last check, is to check all systems again once a new crack is identified and a response developed.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:43 AM

Valid point, but it still doesn't help their PR ........ or maybe it does ....... You know what they say.."good news is good, bad news better"

#9 Traveling Piercer

Traveling Piercer

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:29 PM

Layback Bear had also posted on this in this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/295188/windows-7-update-kb971033/

Having thought about it and read responses we who do not try to cheat have no worries!

actually, you DO have reason to worry... it stated very clearly that users who bought their pc with a perfectly working operating system - even years ago - are liable to find out they have been running a pirated version of windows... unless u actually have a COA (certificate of authenticity) then u can NOT be 100% sure that u r ok

#10 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:03 PM

I have a COA stuck to the side of my tower bought from my local Intel dealer that has been here for decades but it might be no good 90 days form now for what ever reason M/S decides. With all the money, time, and people why would it take M/S so long to figure out these kinds of things. There is I'm sure some funny stuff coming from China. They have been breaking patents and copy rights for 40 years that I know of. M/S has had plenty of time to look into this and take care of it with out bothering the rest of us. Keep in mind please; I like M/S operating systems that I have used. I intend to keep buying them. I have legal C/D's way back to 98. IMHO if M/S would spend more money tracking down the supplier of illegal copies and less money bothering us honest people it would be money well spent.

#11 Traveling Piercer

Traveling Piercer

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:33 AM

Well it finally showed up in the updates... I right clicked it and said to mark as hidden. I don't care if I'm genuine or not... I let it install on 2 of my other pc's that I know are NOT genuine, just to see how they are affected... so far nothing has changed. I will post any changes. I would love to hear from anyone who it HAS affected.

Edited by Traveling Piercer, 03 March 2010 - 04:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users