Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet explorer hijacked not Firefox, cannot find mbam.exe

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chepe

chepe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:01 PM

running xp sp 2, first sign of trouble was windows security center showing avast as turned off. i double clicked avast and it still said it was on.
then i if i remember correctly, a short time later avast gave me virus alert, connected with a website. i chose to shut that browser window. i don't know if it was an IE browser window or firefox (what i use).

after that, IE started repeatedly opening new windows, one about every 2-3 seconds. slow enought that i could close them all by hand, but endless.

when tried to run malwarebytes, i said it could not find the associated exe. and later when i tried again after some oher work i got this error code: 730 (0, 0).

after re-DLing and installing malwarebytes, it still didn't work. it appears the malware is deleting or hiding mbam.exe.
i manually downloaded mbam.exe and saved it again in the malwarebytes folder, changing the name to saviour.bat.

i tried to run it but it still didn't work.

then i downloaded combofix and ran it according to the instructions. i now have a log from that, which i am not including as the forum instructions say not to post it unless requested.

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
chepe

Edited by Orange Blossom, 12 February 2010 - 09:54 PM.
Move to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chepe

chepe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:12 AM

Hey nevermind, I think I fixed it. I DL'ed rkill and then managed to get malwarebytes to run. rebooted, got the blue screen of death, rebooted again in safemode, ran malwarebytes again, rebooted, seems good to go now.

thanks, reading the other posts in this forum has been really helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users