Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KB977165 Issues XP - Unable to boot to recovery console

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GadgetFreek

GadgetFreek

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:54 PM

OK, so after I resolved the issues I had with my Dell Latitude thanks to tsteele's post in this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/294533/bsod-after-win-update-2-09-10-xp-pro/
I get a call from my sister-in-law that she is having the same issue. I figure I can handle it no problem since I have done it already.

Her Toshiba upon booting immediatley goes to the "windows failed to load properly...." Start Windows normally/Safe mode/etc. Where this issue differs is when you select any one of these options the BSOD flashes on/off so quickly I cannot catch the error message then the cycle repeats. I put in my XP disk and boot from the disk. It loads the drivers and just when it says Windows is starting I get a BSOD with 0x0000007B. I cannot get to the recovery console at all to attempt to uninstall the KB update.

Need some guidance please. I can put her SATA drive in my external enclosure and see all her files. I can even open C\WINDOWS and see all the KB updates from 2/11/2010. Really would prefer not to backup and reformat if I do not have to.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Brian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,889 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:20 PM

Did your sister have any known malware issues?

Would she know if she had malware issues?

This XP disk you refer to...is that a MS Genuine XP CD or is it a disk that accompanied the purchase of a system?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 February 2010 - 08:14 AM.

#3 GadgetFreek

GadgetFreek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:39 PM

No malware that I am aware of....but who knows.

It is an OEM disk. I just created a Bootable XP recovery Disk using these instructions: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/ and get the same BSOD after the drivers are loaded and before windows starts when booting from CD. It reads:

STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7B0063C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Any way to check for or remove malware if I can't boot? Can I remove/scan anything while it is attached through my external enclosure to my laptop or desktop?

Thanks for your reply. Hope you can lend some help.

Brian

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,889 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:23 AM

You can certainly run malware scans from your system on any drive connected via USB.

I would suggest running scans with Malwarebytes...your installed AV program...and SUPERAntiSpyware.

You can also try to run the chkdsk /r command from your system while the drive is attached. To do so, see the following:

Graphical Chkdsk Interface - http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget....1276030,00.html . Ignore the ads, the procedure for running chkdsk is the same in Vista and XP. Important: Put checks in both options presented (Automatically fix, Scan for).

7B STOP error info at http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm, scroll down to 7B left column. Often these can be hard drive or file system problems. The chkdsk /r command is able to overcome some such errors, but not all.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users