Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer running ridiculously slowly....virus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Silverleaf125

Silverleaf125

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:03 PM

Hey there,

My home PC has been running awfully slow. It takes close to five minutes simply to open up firefox. Other programs can be even worse. I've already taken steps of scanning my computer with AVG 9.0 and doing a disk defragmentation, but nothing seems to get it back to optimal standards.

Update: 6:42 pm, 2-12, I ran the free online versions of bitdefender and another antivirus program. They came up with nothing. I looked at some other sites provided on this forum and used a couple of tips to help firefox run faster. I am also defragmenting my computer again.

Thanks!

Edited by Silverleaf125, 12 February 2010 - 07:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:25 PM

Well...malware is only one of several possible reasons why your system runs slowly....unless you have more to go on than that, I suggest that you temporarily remove that HJT log data from your initial post...and we will explore some of the other possibilities. If something occurs which reinforces the idea of malware, we will then direct you to the appropriate forum.

Have you read Slow Computer, It May Not Be Malware (Quietman) - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38264 ?

System manufacturer and model?

How large is the C: partition?

How much RAM is installed?

How much free space is there right now on C:?

Do you realize how old SP2 is...and do you understand that new forms of malware are written every day that goes by...and some of those malware items attempt to exploit known vulnerabilities addressed by each SP that is issued by Microsoft?

Have you checked Event Viewer for possible clues?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#3 Silverleaf125

Silverleaf125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

System manufacturer and model? Dell Dimension B110

How large is the C: partition? 75 GB

How much RAM is installed? 512 MB

How much free space is there right now on C:? Close to 50%

Do you realize how old SP2 is...and do you understand that new forms of malware are written every day that goes by...and some of those malware items attempt to exploit known vulnerabilities addressed by each SP that is issued by Microsoft?
I'm not sure what SP2 is. This computer is around six years old, but I had it repaired and upgraded three years ago, right before Vista came out.

Have you checked Event Viewer for possible clues? I don't know what Event Viewer is either.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:17 PM

Well...if I really wanted to increase the speed of that system...I would increase the installed RAM to the maximum supported. The max for a Dimension B110 is 2GB of RAM. You have 1/4 of that installed.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...imension%20B110. For approximately $40, you can triple the RAM installed...which would not necessarily make the system 3 times as efficient as it is now....but it would be considerably better.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users