Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get To Windows Screen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jmacgolf99

Jmacgolf99

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:31 PM

My computer was working fine all day, then I come home after I had left my computer on to find a grey screen. I tried to reboot but after the introductory Dell screen it tries to load Windows then gets a grey screen and freezes. I tried opening it in safe mode, safe mode w/networking, and the last known working confirguration all with the same result. I'm stuck and haven't found any other solutions on this site. Any insight would be most helpful.

Justin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:11 PM

System model?

Solutions? We can't even define the problem yet.

Have you tried running chkdsk /r?

Have you tried a different monitor with the system?

Can you get into the BIOS?

Louis

System model?

Solutions? We can't even define the problem yet.

Have you tried running chkdsk /r?

Have you tried a different monitor with the system?

Can you get into the BIOS?

Louis

#3 Jmacgolf99

Jmacgolf99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:38 PM

It's a laptop dell inspiron e1505. I don't think it's the monitor as all the other screens that normally come up before windows appear normally. I don't know anything about running chkdsk/ r or getting into the BIOS. What can I do to make it easier to find an answer?

#4 Jmacgolf99

Jmacgolf99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:05 AM

I think I am able to get into bios using F12. However, I have no idea what good that does me. I am only able to use the internet through my girlfriends laptop.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,416 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:13 AM

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER. (PRESS ENTER)

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

Then go into the Recovery Console and try to run the chkdsk /r command, using the following as guidance.

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Louis

#6 Jmacgolf99

Jmacgolf99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:13 AM

I know this is likely to make it impossible. I thought I was sure where my XP cd was and of course it wasn't there. I just tore down my place looking for it and I can't find it anywhere. Is there another way?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,416 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:25 AM

Yes :thumbsup:.

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

Understand this...the .iso file must be burned following the suggested procedures. It cannot be burned in the typical manner that you might burn a CD. The .iso must be converted to a format that results in a bootable CD as the end product.

Louis

#8 Jmacgolf99

Jmacgolf99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:59 PM

Ok, it seems as if we are getting somewhere since I am doing this from my laptop. However, it seemed too easy and the problem can't possibly be totally fixed.

I was following the steps on how to create a bootable XP recovery CD. I put the CD in my computer ended up pressing "R" to enter to recovery console. Then I selected enter for the installation that I wanted to acces (1: C:\WINDOWS). Then I didn't have to do anything and it automatically opened up windows and my computer worked like it normally would.

I thought this was strange because there were supposed to me more steps to follow. Step 5 says to follow the guidance you receive to help restore your system to working order. Well I didn't have to do that.

I took out the CD and then restarted my computer and here I am writing you this from my computer. Is there any type to log or scan that you would like me to show you? I feel like the problem can't be totally fixed.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,416 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:16 PM

Well...if it's working, it's working :thumbsup:.

If problems surface, you know where to post :flowers:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users