Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I should'na looked

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rani9

rani9

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:13 PM

Dell Dimension 8200 (3 years old); Intel Pentium 4, 2000 Mhz; Phoenix BIOS (never updated); WinXP SP2 (all updates); AVG Pro; Brother MFC 420cn; Dell 1702 FP LCD; Spybot; MS AntiSpyware Beta; CCleaner; RegSeeker.

Trying to save time for everyone, I'll just say that I looked at Event Viewer today. I've looked at it infrequently, and never could understand what I saw, but today there was something relatively new and scary:

Type: Warning
Date: 9/2/2005
Time: 7:24:03 AM
Source: disk
Category: None
Event: 51
User: N/A
Computer: JohnandCheryl

Further info under help and support said an error was detected during a paging file operation.

The word "disk" scared me, so I checked the entire Event Viewer, and found 25 of these errors, from Aug 1 2005 through Sep 3 2005. If this event was cataloged earlier, I don't know, because the Event Viewer only goes back to Aug 1.

I checked System Restore for Aug 1, 2005 and found a couple of things; 1) an accidental MS "update" to NVIDIA GeForce4 MX driver 5.12 -- but we've had the 6.1.7.7 driver for a long time now. The 5.12 screws up the display resolution, big time. I reinstalled the 6.17; resolution is fine; but I'm wondering if this could have something to do with the Event 51 warning.

Also, on that same date, something called Software Distribution Service 2.0 is listed three times, and I don't know why. I don't even know what it is.

I've researched the web, and can't find anything that seems to apply -- other than potential for a hard drive crash. Just what I don't need.

Meanwhile, the entire system is working extremely well; fast and smooth; no glitches or twitches that I can detect -- and I'm thoroughly baffled. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:03 PM

When your computer pages information to or from the disk, if a generic error occurs, it logs an Event ID 51event message. In a paging operation, the operating system either swaps a page of memory from memory to disk or retrieves a page of memory from disk to memory. It is part of the memory management of Microsoft Windows.

However, the computer may log this event message when it loads images from a storage device, reads and writes to locally mapped files or to any file (as long as it is buffered I/O). The computer does not log this event message when it performs non-buffered I/O. You can troubleshoot an Event ID 51 event message the same way as you troubleshoot Event ID 9 or 11 event messages.

For more information, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
154690 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154690/) How to troubleshoot event ID 9, event ID 11, and event ID 15 error messages
259237 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259237/) Troubleshooting event ID 9, 11, and 15 on Cluster Servers
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;244780

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:19 PM

Back up everything you want to keep just in case, you won't regret it.

Edited by dc3, 02 September 2005 - 09:21 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 rani9

rani9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:51 PM

Thank you to Enthusiast and dc3. I forgot to mention that I'd read the Microsoft information, and even downloaded their recommended User Profile Hive Cleanup Service. That was earlier today, and I'll keep an eye on the Event Viewer to see what happens.

Is it possible that some fairly intense photo editing could cause the paging file error? I've practiced that for three years, though, and I'm certain the disk warning 51 is relatively new. Thanks again for your help.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:02 PM

How much RAM do you have and what size do you have the swap file set for?

#6 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:59 AM

You can use your "run" command tool to check things out. If you click "start" and then "run" and then type "cmd" and then ok. The old dos screen will show and then type "sfc/scannow.exe" Which will allow Windows to verify that all protected Windows files are intact and in their original versions. Do this while offline and with no programs open. Take a pause from your machine as it will take about 30-45 minutes. When it is done, it will simply close back to your desktop. Then open the event viewer to see the results.

There is another tool you can run to check your hard drive for errors. Click "start' and then "my computer" then right click on your hard drive, usually "c" and then click "properties" and then "tools" and then check both boxes and then "ok." A dialog box will pop up saying 'it can not perform this task-ok to run at next start-up,' click "ok" and re-start your computer. A new screen will open saying a 'disk check' has been scheduled. Do not touch / do anything and it will start and run for about 15-20 minutes. It will then re-start again when completed and you will go to the event viewer for the results.

These tools will repair errors on your disc and insure system stability.

After all of this is done, open "system" located in the "control panel" and on the general tab it will list your 'ram memory installed.' Usually 256, 512 or 1024. It may show a number different, as some items will be using a little, round up to the closest number (496=512) write this number down and then click on the "advanced" tab and then the "performance settings." Next click "advanced" and then "change" under the vitural memory. Click "custom size" and then in both initial and maximun size, change the number to the number you wrote down-double the ram you have installed (if you have 256-enter 512, if 512-enter 1024)-then click "ok" and then "apply" and then "ok" and then "ok" on the system tab. Re-start your machine and all will be better.

:thumbsup:

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 03 September 2005 - 02:36 AM

You can also google the manufacturer of your hdd and download their test program, most of them provide these.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 rani9

rani9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:22 AM

Thanks again to Enthusiast, micaman and dc3. I have 512 MB RAM, and I've tried different settings for virtual memory, after some web reading. Right now, it's set at 4000 - 4000, as this really speeds up special effects portions of Microsoft Picture It! Photo 2002.

Now that you've asked, I realize something: I had left the 4000 - 4000 setting for a long time. Then, after doing some more web reading, I thought I would set it at "system managed size." The disk event 51's may have started about the same time, but I'm far from sure. I'll have to write down what I do and when I do it, for future reference.

I'll also try the advice from Micaman and dc3, and I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again.

#9 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:38 PM

Wow, 4000! That sound too high to me. I would say that the event viewer is busy from this. If you set your vitural memory too high, it can cause system instability. I would move it down. 2 - 2.5 times your ram is pretty much the norm.

If you set it at "system managed size" it will continue to slow down and automatically
adjust - ALL OF THE TIME. One of the best things you can do for your machine is to set this properly and leave it alone, and add more ram, if possible.

:thumbsup:

#10 rani9

rani9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 06:36 PM

Thanks so much to you again, micaman. Right after reading your previous post, I set the virtual memory according to your advice: 512 x 2 = 1024. Until you said so, I had no idea that incorrect vm settings could destabilize my system. Of course, I didn't know what constitutes "incorrect." Sometimes I'm surprised I haven't turned my computer and peripherals into total junk. Thanks again for your help!

#11 Aviator

Aviator

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 08 September 2005 - 04:34 AM

Check out the Dell Community Forum. Check out Dimension> Hard Drive forum. I have two Dells and use that site quite frequently.
Dell Dimension 8200 2.4
768mb RDRAM
BIOS A08

Dell Dimension 4550 2.66
768mb Ram

http://forums.us.dell.com/

#12 rani9

rani9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:50 PM

Thanks again to everyone who responded to my SOS, re: Event ID 51 in the Event Viewer. Following advice I'd gotten from newsgroups, I changed my virtual memory setting to 1024 - 1024. I also installed the Microsoft User Profile Cleanup Service, and installed a monitor driver update. (I haven't yet tackled the BIOS update -- reason being, it scares me.) Anyway, it's been five or six days now, and I haven't seen any more Event 51's. Hopefully, the problem is solved, thanks to you'all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users