Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Silly SATA HDD's

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JonMuckyMuck

JonMuckyMuck

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:01 PM

So I have (in my opinion) a very strange problem going on with my machine.

First thing is first...my MB is an ECS C51PVGM-M. It has 2 on board sata connections. Recently i found a good deal on a 1 TB HDD.

Backed up my old OS, installed the 1 TB HDD... recovered my OS and all files to it and wiped the old 320 gig I was using and was going to set it up on the other sata for a little extra storage.

My problem is that my bios and/or windows 7 will not recognize the newly wiped 320 gig HDD on the secondary connection...at all.

If I switch the connections my bios will recognize both HDD's but wont allow me to boot into windows 7 because the main HDD now (1TB) was installed on the other connection.

I know i could back it all up to my external, switch the connections, and then restore to the 1 TB again but that takes a good 8 hours and didnt know if there MIGHT be an easier fix.

Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:43 PM

Connections have nothing to do with boot order of SATA drives...that is determined by how you set up your BIOS.

I think your problem is that your Windows 7 bootloader...is on the original drive, while it is not on the newer drive. The Windows 7 bootloader acts similarly to the XP boot.ini...no boot.ini/bootloader on drive, no boot.

If you had cloned your original drive and all contents...to the larger hard drive, it would have included the Win 7 bootloader files.

I can't suggest a program to use for cloning on Win 7...I haven't gotten that far in my learning yet.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users