Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Katrina e-mail scams

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:50 PM

One of the many profound ways the internet has changed to the world is to allow people from all over the world to join in a community effort to help others. But as in society at large, there are always a few who use shattering events to further their own dark projects.

Reports are surfacing of bogus Emails not only directing people to contribute to non-existent relief funds, but that direct people (a brief article, then a "read more" link) to URLs which download viruses.

According to a BBC report,

"The separate virus and fake donations bogus e-mails have been discovered by computer security firms SophosLabs and Websense Security Labs."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4209182.stm

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 03 September 2005 - 01:14 PM

This kind of behavior disgusts me. It is acts like this that overshadow the human good that tragedies like this bring out in all (most) of us. To all of the victims and their families I send a prayer.

It is encouraging however to be amongst a community such as Bleeping Computer to see that there is still a lot of good in this world and a lot of people who are more than willing to help others without anything more than the satisfaction of knowing that you have helped someone. Thank you Bleeping Computer! At the time of writing this post there was 29519 members and if all of us are willing to help each other then that's a bloody good start.

I realise I should have put this post in the speak easy forum but reading the above post got me a bit fired up sorry jgweed.

Edited by lucent, 03 September 2005 - 01:18 PM.

Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

#3 jgweed

jgweed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2005 - 02:26 PM

Never a need to apologise to me about any sort of response to my posts, and I certainly agree with what you write. There are many very talented people from all over the world who freely volunteer up some of their time to help others, when they could be out charging for the help and information they so generously give here. They deserve all the thanks they receive.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2005 - 03:40 PM

OMG They attempt to steal money from good hearted people. Then they throw a virus in for good measure. Evil!!! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users