Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

this computer is worse than mine

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 annschoenbaum

annschoenbaum

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 22 September 2004 - 01:00 PM

Hey gang,
Since you all helped me with my pc, I am hoping you are willing to take a crack at my father-in-law's pc, I'm gonna explain the problem to ya here, because i'm getting nowhere fast. It won't let me into the "my computer" section to remove any unwanted software. It took me 6 times to be able to get to this website. I cannot (for some strange reason) find HighjackThis to download. And at the moment it is refusing to download Adaware. This is something that needs to be taken care of immediately. Poor man also has unwanted popups, I'm sure he's been infected with spyware. We need your help ASAP.
Please send me the info so i can download HighjackThis,
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 22 September 2004 - 01:19 PM

Ad-aware and Spybot are both a little too big, but HijackThis can fit on, and in fact be run from, a floppy disk. Copy HJT from your machine to a floppy, take it to your FIL's machine and run it. Copy the log back onto to floppy, take it back to your machine, and them post.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 22 September 2004 - 01:28 PM

Run these online scans, and let them clean what they find:

PandaSoftware
HouseCall
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 annschoenbaum

annschoenbaum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2004 - 01:58 PM

I don't know how or why but the pc finally allowed me to download hjt and adaware. I had to put them in temporary files, but at least it was done. As soon as i can, i will place them both in permanent files. Just an fyi: when i ran the adaware there were 327 criticals found on this pc. My father-in-law is happy that i've gotten this far. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the help so far, i'm sure i'm gonna be needing more.

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 22 September 2004 - 03:10 PM

Hey make sure when you fix it to get a firewall! Go get sygate personal one. Thats will help keep this from happening again!
Just a tippper

#6 annschoenbaum

annschoenbaum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2004 - 05:22 PM

Been running the spybot S&D, and finally got adaware to work, with adaware the first scan found 327 critials, 2nd scan found 308 criticals. The second scan was performed 2 hours after the 1st scan. The pc still isn't letting me near it's files, so that i can remove what my father-in-law does not want. I get a window saying an error or problem is there, and then the pc basically shuts down, and i need to reboot. It's getting to the point where i have seriously thought about throwing this thing off the roof (he as that accidental insurance, haha and just kidding) but that should give you an idea of how frustrated i am getting with this pc. I am hoping that someone will be able to help me override whatever is keeping me from from those files, i cannot get into documents, my computer, my music, or anything. Your advise is needed and greatly appreciated
Thanks

#7 annschoenbaum

annschoenbaum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:29 PM

just an update for you all, i was able to get into my fil's remove and add programs, was able to remove a few, but the windows won't let me into the c:drive and a few other areas on his pc. If anyone has any ideas on how to bypass this, i would appreciate some assist on doing this.
I still wasn't able to download the updated version of highjack this, (unless I did it by accident and haven't figured out that i've done that yet, haha). I've ran adaware and spybot and now have removed a over 1000 criticals off his pc. Once i'm done with everything, I plan on adding a firewall to his pc, and i might need help with that. I'll let you know
We both appreciate your assist on this. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users