Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NAT issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:19 PM

I had another post just asking a question about NAT, but now i am having troubles getting it to be open. The main reason i want it Open is for Modern Warfare 2. Me and a friend are having troubles connected, and recently i've been getting the "Unable to connect to game" message more often. I've tried going into my router's settings and making UPnP Enabled, and i've even forwarded ports the official forums reccomended. Still not much luck, sometimes it might randomly be Open, but more often then not it will be strict.

Any help appreciated thanks.
Grace is given freely, but respect must be earned.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:09 PM

If you used port forwarding in the router properly then its open. Make sure you are forwarding the right ports and protocol(TCP/UDP) to the correct IP address.

Open a command prompt and type ipconfig and hit Enter. That is the IP address you need to forward the ports to. If there are 2 of you then you need to make entries for both IP addresses.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:42 PM

I went to command prompt and typed in the ipconfig . And i was given two IP address one was an IPv4 and the other a Default Gateway. Oddly enough neither or which were the IP addresses that were already in the port fowarding section of my router's setup. Im going to try and change those to the IPv4 address, and not the default gateway (unless their is reason otherwise, not sure if when you said two Addresses if you meant two IPv4 or the IPv4 and default gateway) and see if it works.

Thanks for your help

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:04 PM

Yes it should be the IPv4 address. The default gateway is the address of your router. And make sure you have TCP and/or UDP, whichever is needed for the ports.

I mentioned 2 not about the IP addresses but because you said "Me and a friend are having troubles connected" I thought there were 2 of you using the same router like room mates.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:42 PM

I mentioned 2 not about the IP addresses but because you said "Me and a friend are having troubles connected" I thought there were 2 of you using the same router like room mates.

I meant that he couldn't connect to me from his computer in-game (sorry about being unclear). It seemed to work, and i made sure the UDP, and TCP were selected.

Thanks again

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:31 AM

Glad it worked.

When port forwarding the 2 biggest mistakes are: 1) Forwarding to the incorrect IP address. 2) Not forwarding the correct protocol(TCP/UDP)

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:47 PM

When using DHCP through the router if there are other people on the same router and they renew their DHCP given addresses at different times it is possible for your address to change from time to time. Set up a reservation in your router so your computer only gets that address that should prevent this problem in the future.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users