Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disappointing games

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:58 PM

I'm sure I am not the only person here who has been disappointed by a game which got mostly positive reviews. Well here's my list.

Bioshock-- The game itself is decent. My main complaint is that it's impossible to fail. If you die, you just go to the nearest vita-chamber.
Mass Effect-- I was promised a 50-hour game and I finished it in 9 hours. Worse, the contents of those 9 hours were little more than a conversation simulator.
Half-life 2-- No story, long walks/rides, poor gunplay-- I don't see how this game got above a 7/10
Morrowind (though I liked Oblivion)-- I just find it boring.
Prey-- Like Bioshock, it's impossible to fail. Worse, the game is incredibly boring. I literally felt depressed after playing this and sold it the next day.

What high-rated games did you all find disappointing?
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:24 PM

It's all opinions. Not everyone's going to like the next big hit game.

Me, I didn't care for Halo 3 when it came out because it was turning into the same thing over and over again. At the same time, I'm more of a stickler of finding the offline capabilities of a game (especially to play by yourself). If a game has little offline and just about everything online (Left 4 Dead series), then my interest will start to go down because of that.

Another was Final Fantasy X. The style of the game changed a bit such as no active time battle and the Sphere Grid system (not to mention, as a hopeful animator, that the main character uses gimmicky looking Limit Breaks...Overdrives....whatever they're called in that game, which bothered me a lot....). The only reason why I MIGHT try the game is for Auron....except it's not enough reason for me to try it. Also, the music wasn't something I could go back to because it was sounding too sporty like (not to mention it was the last Final Fantasy game that Nobuo Uematsu was working on...and he worked jointly with it).

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#3 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:38 AM

command and conquer

can not last a day with those ea games

i played star craft and when i play a ea(or any rts) rts games just boring

like when u play perfect dark / 007 golden eye on nin 64 all other shootings games get crap real fast

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:51 AM

There are more and more games out there that have very pretty, even awesome graphics but poor gameplay, especially nerfed sequels to the original and more playable games. I have given up on the FF series.
Even worse are some the "professional" reviews. I now wait until the game is released and then check out the game's site for trail versions and forum feedback.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:02 PM

The only game I've ever really been disappointed by, and I mean disappointed to the point where I wanted to hunt down the designer and do mean things to him, was call Star Trek: ConQuest Online. :thumbsup:

But I have to disagree with RainbowSix on one point: Half Life 2 kicks ass. :flowers:

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:20 AM

a lot of it is opinion-a lot of popular games out there that I havent liked, counter strike and WOW are 2. doesnt make them bad games just mean I dont like them.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 rkoelsch

rkoelsch

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:33 PM

The game that I was upset about was KOTOR 2 Sith Lords. I don't think it got high reviews but after loving the first game the sequel was very disappointing.

#8 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:04 PM

The game that I was upset about was KOTOR 2 Sith Lords. I don't think it got high reviews but after loving the first game the sequel was very disappointing.

KOTOR II was great, until the last bit. There was a point where the game just didn't have the same polish, like they gave up and threw it on the market unfinished. I found out later, according to the PC Gamer guys, that that is exactly what happened...the publisher forced them to release the game even though they would have required more time to finish it with a level of quality consistent with the rest of the game.

I recently tried playing the game through again; however, it does not like Vista 64 and I haven't bothered to look very hard for solutions.

I had fun with WoW for a while but it was ultimately a disappointment for me. Turns out the end-game is just a never-ending search to upgrade imaginary gear rather than open-world combat and other user created experiences I was looking forward to. Most folks just stand around in the cities waiting to join raids or battlegrounds. So ultimately you get a 3D avatar while you wait to join servers. So much for the concept of "MMO." I have friends who blather on about chasing the next piece of gear and I just have to sigh and think, "to each his own."

Counter-Strike is a game that I do not consider a disappointment. But that's because I don't expect it to be anything more than it really is. I played it off and on since version 1.1 - just another Half Life mod - and got pretty heavy into it between 1.3 and 1.6. Source gave it another breath of fresh air, with the physics engine and what not. Through the years it has always had a great balance between tactics and action; that's what made it so popular. But CS is what it is...don't expect a lot of depth. I eventually got burned out; I never pub anymore. However I still play it at lans or occasionally with friends. In these situations it's always a good time.

Edited by locally pwned, 18 February 2010 - 11:08 PM.

"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#9 rkoelsch

rkoelsch

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:23 AM

KOTOR II was great, until the last bit. There was a point where the game just didn't have the same polish, like they gave up and threw it on the market unfinished. I found out later, according to the PC Gamer guys, that that is exactly what happened...the publisher forced them to release the game even though they would have required more time to finish it with a level of quality consistent with the rest of the game.

I recently tried playing the game through again; however, it does not like Vista 64 and I haven't bothered to look very hard for solutions.

I may try it again. it was so buggy when i tried it I couldn't take it. I do understand what you say about WoW. I feel the same way I think. I would like to play an MMO that promoted working together to overcome obstacles as opposed to "look at me I have better gear than you".

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:20 PM

Fable and Fable 2 (Though I liked Fable: The Lost Chapters)

Waited 5 years for the original game bought, it beat it in less than a day. Story felt incomplete (TLC expansion fixed that). Fable 2 is sitting on my desk as i played it for 3 days then got bored with it.

Gears of War : got boring real fast.

Resident Evil 5 : it's an upgraded version of RE4 same cheesey button presses to beat bosses you don't really have the skills to beat.

Posted Image

#11 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:33 PM

Fable 2, CoD:MW2, EndWar.

Fable 2: The magic system was absolute crap, I played Fable 1 because of the magic system, which was perfect. Although I did like the job system, it shouldn't let you smelt swords for 8 days straight without consequence. Lastly, the income was too easy, pump the rent up 100% (corruption doesn't hurt you at all) and wait a few days, you have enough to buy the continent.

MW2: no question here, too many glitches, bugs, and mostly, hackers/lack of good anti-cheat (if there is one) (I have it for computer)

EndWar: Could have been so much better, like having to build armies and move them on the world map, even if it was designed for Xbox, its not that hard to make a build menu and commands for moving units on a turn based campaign map. no, its just select a target and attack with some tanks and choppers, and maybe some infantry, although they weren't necessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users