Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer stops working- no warning- cannot even shut down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mrobey

mrobey

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:52 PM

1 year old HP desk top that at least once a day (or more) just stops working. No warning or error displays. Cannot start task manager, shut down, restart- nothing! Have to force a shut down. I think I have been good to this computer- try to clean out junk etc on a regular basis. Problem is getting worse. Not sure where to go- HP cannot help because I'm out of the warranty period.. Don't know if this is a HP problem or a Vista issue?? I just hope someone that understands this log file can help!

EDIT: Remove HJT log
Not allowed in this forum. Only HJT team members are allowed to respond-MG

Edited by garmanma, 12 February 2010 - 05:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noisome

noisome

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:51 PM

I see nothing truly odd in the Hijackthis log.

Does this freeze happen when you are using the computer or after it has been sitting for a while?

If its been sitting a while, could you have enabled sleep/hibernate/standby mode? Sometimes a faulty power-saving mode by the manufacturer (which is probably updated by them, look up HP BIOS for your system, or post your model here and I'll try to help) could be the issue. If you don't have one of the modes enabled, then it could be some other issues, like overheating (solved sometimes by opening the case and blowing out the insides with compressed air), and other factors.

But lets go one step at a time.

Thanks.

Edited by noisome, 12 February 2010 - 03:52 PM.

#3 mrobey

mrobey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:35 PM

Thank you-
The problem often happens after the computer has been on for a while. Always if left on overnight.
Power settings- turn off display: 15 min
put computer to sleep: 20 min
I changed both to never for now.

Also I have been checking the HP updates- there is a BIOS update but I was note sure that it applied to my computer- system requirements:"You must have an M2N68-LA motherboard". I am not sure if I do- or how to find out?
Also firmware updates that might apply- I would really appreciate your help on that part.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=3817780

HP model a6683w
32-bit

#4 noisome

noisome

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:57 PM

Hopefully the settings will work.

To double check your motherboard, you can download CPU-Z and after installing it, click the mainboard tab. The first two lines should tell you what you have.

It looks like if you just run the file from that link you supplied for the BIOS, you can just run it in Windows and it should update your board. An interesting note, depending if you have an Optiarc DVD burner, updating the firmware may be a reasonable choice as HP says "Optiarc AD-7201S5 DVD(+/-)R/RW (+/-)DL RAM LightScribe SATA drive firmware update improves resume time when returning from standby mode."

That may be your problem actually, or maybe not.

Hopefully it helps!

Edited by noisome, 12 February 2010 - 08:02 PM.

#5 mrobey

mrobey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:30 PM

Well... so far so good! 24 hours with the computer on- even over night and no crash.
The BIOS update did not apply to my machine. And neither did that dvd burner firmware update.
Changing the power settings seemed to do the trick.

I can't thank you enough for the FAST response and great advise.
This has saved me so much time and money!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users