Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rollback after restart

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Adam17

Adam17

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:38 PM

I was working on my mom's computer, but I have come across something that I have no idea how to fix. First of all, it said that Windows Update had never installed any updates on the computer and that there was 62 updates that needed to be installed. I ran Windows Update and did the reboot, but when it booted back up it was back to saying that it had never performed any updates. I decided to get back to that issue at a later time. There was a long list of programs installed on the computer that was no longer needed, so I went ahead and uninstalled them. Again, it said that a reboot would be needed. I rebooted the computer and the Windows update thing popped up again. When it booted back up not only did the updates still not install, but the programs that I had uninstalled were back on the computer! This happened two or three times. Out of curiosity I deleted some of the desktop icons and replaced the desktop background and rebooted the computer. As I expected they were all back when it booted back up. It's almost like it's restoring itself to an earlier time every time the computer reboots. If anyone could give some input on how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

Are you logged in as administrator?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Adam17

Adam17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:21 PM

Yes.

#4 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:41 PM

hello

you could try turning system restore off, once its all updated and cleaned up, turn it back on and see if everything is back to normal....just a thought.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/

good luck

Edited by keny111111, 12 February 2010 - 08:41 PM.

Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#5 Adam17

Adam17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:00 PM

hello

you could try turning system restore off, once its all updated and cleaned up, turn it back on and see if everything is back to normal....just a thought.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/

good luck

It still did the exact same thing :huh:

#6 Adam17

Adam17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:14 AM

I ended up just backing up all of the files on the computer and doing a complete restore. I have no idea what could have possibly been wrong with the darn thing. Regardless, it's working great now :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users