Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 repair??

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:19 PM

I am helping someone with their computer long distance. They had recently upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 64 bit. They had a few problems during the upgrade, but we worked through them and everything was working fine for a few months. Then they wanted to install their scanner they were using in Vista, it was not recognized. They went online and downloaded the proper driver for the device and after runnning the program for the driver they restarted and now the system hangs and will only boot into Safe Mode.

We removed the scanner so it is not connected and looked to uninstall, but could not find it under device manager or in the Add/Remove, so it did not seem to install.

We have tried to do several System Restore points. Last known Good configurations. Put the Windows dvd in the drive and did the repair option. Pulled the command prompt up and did a bootfix. We ran sfc/ scannow and a chkdsk. None of these worked. It tries to start for 10 to 30 mins and then it just shuts down and says it is going into sleep mode.

What I was wondering, because I am not familiar with windows 7 yet, is can we put the Windows 7 dvd in and do another "install" upgrade over the original to save all the files and programs? Or are we going to have to perform a clean install and wipe everything.
Thanks for any help you can give :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:52 PM

I can only discuss procedures I would use with XP. I have Win 7 installed, but I've been pretty much ignoring it.

I would boot into safe mode...and delete the drivers which seem to choke the system...manually, if necessary.

Since safe mode is available, I would use something like Autoruns which would show me ALL files loading at boot. Then I would go to the Drivers tab and remove any files related to the scanner. I suppose that I'd also look at the Logon tab, where typical startup items are listed.

Once that was done, I would initiate a chkdsk /r and reboot the system, letting the chkdsk complete.

Then I'd try to boot into the O/S.

Louis

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:09 PM

Do a "Clean" --> Custom install. Things should go to your satisfaction that way :huh:

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for your replies. Hamluis, we have done those things and there were no drivers or software, it had never installed them correctly. Then we did the chkdsk too. We tried to restore it back and still no luck.
Jacee, does a clean install wipe all the data and programs?
Thanks again for any help you can suggest :huh:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:37 AM

Thanks for your replies. Hamluis, we have done those things and there were no drivers or software, it had never installed them correctly. Then we did the chkdsk too. We tried to restore it back and still no luck.
Jacee, does a clean install wipe all the data and programs?
Thanks again for any help you can suggest :huh:

Yes a clean install means the windows installation basically wipes the hard drive clean of anything that is on that partition, programs, files and all. It re-formats the hard drive before it installs.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:53 AM

I want you to know that there is a way to re-install windows over windows without it wiping your hard drive in the process.

Please bare with me here, as it has been a while since I read about it and the last time I did it was with Windows XP SP3.

The process is like this.

You restart the system so it boots from the windows 7 installation DVD.

It loads a bunch of drivers which are needed to start your computer.

Once it is done it asks what do you want to do. you choose R for repair.

Now this is the part that I'm rusty on, so proceed with caution, because one option reformats that hard drive and reinstalls windows, the other only installs windows over windows but does NOT touch your programs

I know it asks at one point what copy of windows do you want to repair? Of course you'll choose Windows 7 Blah blah edition.

Im only posting this hoping to help you but as I said there is no point in my attemping the repair to remember how to do it, if my O/S isn't broken.

Sorry if what I posted wasn't much help to you.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:07 AM

Hello and thanks again. I have done the xp repair many times, but can't seem to find information that u can do the same with windows 7. The dvd brings up an entire different menu, and the repair they give you in that menu is not as extensive as the xp repair. We have tried that repair and it didn't work. It is looking like a clean install is the best option. Luckily he has most of his documents backed up from the upgrade he did a few months ago. Thank you again !

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:40 AM

Yes, a clean install is the only and best option for migrating from XP to Windows 7. Of course, make sure you have recent data backups. I would also recommend going ahead and downloading all the Windows 7 drivers needed for the hardware on that computer (manufacturer's website will have them), then you can install them ASAP. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#9 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:55 AM

Thank you, we are going to do a clean install at this point. He had upgraded from Vista to Window 7 a few months ago. I may try the upgrade first just to know if that will work or not, for the knowledge of it. I will post our results.
Thanks for everything :huh:

Well we started the upgrade and it can only be done if you can boot into Windows Normally, so we are now doing the custom clean install. So, I guess you can only do the repair they have in the diagnostic section, which is not like the Windows XP repair we are use to. :huh:

Edited by Crizz44, 13 February 2010 - 11:16 AM.

#10 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:12 PM

The installation is complete to a clean install. It did save a backup to a windows.old file, it asked during the installation, so it appears he has a back up there too. We will see, he has a lot of programs to install for now and we
will see what information he is able to get back. Thanks again :huh:

#11 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:42 PM

Good deal! :huh:

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:45 PM

Nice going :huh:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 February 2010 - 07:46 PM.

#13 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:24 PM

Just a thought again. Of a known clean working machine make a repair disc. W7 go to Start and type in (disc) at the top you will see create a repair disc. This might be specific to Home, Home premium,ect. I don't really know.

#14 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:37 PM

You can do this in every version of Windows 7, Layback Bear. :huh:

Yes, it is a good idea to do it.

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:10 PM

I know I have not used the repair options available for windows 7, because as of yet I have not had a reason to use it.

But I still would like to experiment with it a bit. I have seen a REPAIR option available in the list of options, when you hit the F8 key during bootup. But not sure what it does as of yet.

Sigh, I know I have to mess with these "new" options sooner or later, before I actually need to use them for real. :huh: Hehehehe

Hopefully curiosity does not kill the cat, so to speak. LOL!

Edited by MrBruce1959, 14 February 2010 - 09:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users