Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to connect to wireless network or ethernet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cornhusker Tech

Cornhusker Tech

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:27 PM

Hi all,
I'm working on a laptop for a client today and have encountered an issue I haven't seen before. It's an old Toshiba Satellite with XP SP3. The issue is that it is unable to get a network connection -- even when an ethernet cable is plugged in, the network card still reports "Network cable is unplugged", and no wireless networks appear in the wireless networking list (with Windows XP managing the wireless networking). Occasionally, repairing the wireless connection lets me at least see available networks, but at that point I still can only connect to open networks and it never actually gets an IP address.

I've run Spybot, ComboFix, and SDFix with no problems found. I've also used a couple shareware registry checkers and cleaned out some archaic, invalid, and corrupt entries. No change. Also confirmed all Toshiba drivers are up to date.

I've disassembled and reassembled the laptop to confirm all connections are firm, also solving a random shutdown problem caused by dust buildup around the heat sink. One problem solved but still no progress on the networking issue.

I'm suspecting a hardware problem due to some other issues (random loss of USB, periodic loss of trackpad and keyboard use at boot). I'd like to wipe the hard drive clean and reload everything from the original install media and document backups but the client is not open to that due to installed bootleg programs she'd lose due to not having the original discs or license keys. :thumbsup:

Any other ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:38 PM

When someone asks for "help"....but then decides to tailor that request with ideas that impede attempts to determine/resolve "the problem"...I think it's time to punt and give the system back to them.

If both the wireless and wired connections are dysfunctional, with no clues...I think it's logical to suspect hardware, especially so in terms of other problems revealed.

Some users don't seem to realize...that those systems are warranteed for only a year...because they are not made with the intent of producing a system that will last the lifetime of the user.

A clean install is about the only way that I know to truly get a fix on suspected hardware problems that don't involve RAM or hard drive. Especially so with a laptop, if one does not repair/troubleshoot system problems for a living (I don't).

I would take a look in Event Viewer, just to ensure that there is nothing there that might help diagnose the situation.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users