Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My P.C. is running very slow, freezes and can't shut down

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 trojanhunter

trojanhunter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:04 AM

Hi there, My windows XP home is running so slow and keeps freezing up when I'm on the Internet. When it freezes I can not exit the internet pages, or the browser bar with the start button disappears, or when I click Shut Down the computer does nothing and my only option is to shut down by pulling the computer plug out. This has been going on for several weeks. I use Kaspersky Internet Security and I have Spybot's tea timer running. I can find no sign of virus or spyware, so I'm totally mystified by what's causing the problem. Any help greatly appreciated.

Edited by trojanhunter, 12 February 2010 - 10:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:57 AM

Your problem could be caused by many different things.
  • Hard Drive very full
  • Hard Drive going bad
  • Software Issues
Let's look at the hard drive being full first. We're going to run a utility to cleanup your temp files.

Please download TFC (Temp File Cleaner) by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link

* Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
* Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
* Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
* TFC will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, Java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder.
* Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

Note: It is normal for the computer to be slow to boot after running TFC cleaner the first time.

After running TFC, if your computer still exhibits the same bahavior, we'll look at hard drive failure as a possibility.

You may want to think about testing your hard drive with the manufacturer's testing utility. A list of manufacturer's testing utilities can be found here.

If after testing your hard drive, it comes back as "good", you will also want to consider running Defrag on your computer. You can use the built-in Windows Defragment utility to accomplish this, or you can use a utility such as MyDefrag. Each will defragment your hard drive and should help with your speed.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:58 AM

I have Spybot's tea timer running

Whenever you use your AV or malware tools, you need to disable Teatimer
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 trojanhunter

trojanhunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:15 AM

Your problem could be caused by many different things.

• Hard Drive very full
  • Hard Drive going bad
  • Software Issues
Let's look at the hard drive being full first. We're going to run a utility to cleanup your temp files.

Please download TFC (Temp File Cleaner) by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link

* Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
* Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
* Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
* TFC will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, Java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder.
* Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

Note: It is normal for the computer to be slow to boot after running TFC cleaner the first time.

After running TFC, if your computer still exhibits the same bahavior, we'll look at hard drive failure as a possibility.

You may want to think about testing your hard drive with the manufacturer's testing utility. A list of manufacturer's testing utilities can be found here.

If after testing your hard drive, it comes back as "good", you will also want to consider running Defrag on your computer. You can use the built-in Windows Defragment utility to accomplish this, or you can use a utility such as MyDefrag. Each will defragment your hard drive and should help with your speed.

Hope this helps,

Hi there, many thanks for your reply. Although, I knew my hard drive was not full I took your advice and down loaded TFC and cleaned the hard drive. I also tested the hard drive using the Belarc Advisor but didn't de-frag as I do this regularly. I checked the hard drive first and from what I could understand it appears to be in good order with no problems and all security updates and hot fixes. The TFC cleaner was brilliant and seemed to find loads of stuff that my computer doesn't when I clean the hard drive and temporary folders. The computer seems to be working quite well at the minute but I will update soon following a test drive. :thumbsup:

#5 trojanhunter

trojanhunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:19 AM

I have Spybot's tea timer running

Whenever you use your AV or malware tools, you need to disable Teatimer

Hi there, I wasn't aware of that, does this mean I shouldn't run it when I'm doing a Kaspersky scan? :thumbsup:

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:27 PM

Teatimer's job is to monitor and prevent changes to the registry, so I would say yes
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 trojanhunter

trojanhunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:42 AM

Teatimer's job is to monitor and prevent changes to the registry, so I would say yes

Thank you Garmanma, I will make sure that I disable Teatimer before future scans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users