Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reset All Active Network Conections w/o restarting PC

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jase07

jase07

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:04 AM

hi and good day :thumbsup:

I have a pc with shared folders, sharing it to over 30 units, windows xp has limit the network connections to 10 so if it reach the limit no more computer will allow to connect to my pc. how can i reset the connection without restarting my pc or resetting my router?

btw all computers are connected via switches which are connected to the router.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:32 AM

The connection limit is there to force you to use a real server. Ms wants that to be server 2003 or something similarly expensive.

Build a linux (ubuntu) box from something too old to be an xp box and share the drive from there. No limit on connections.

The original question may or may not be answered in the generic interpretation by "ipconfig /?" But is unlikely to reset what you need.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:07 AM

There are unsupported means listed on the Web that purport to do such...I myself would be reluctant to download/install any alteration of XP that is not from what I consider to be a reputable source...but it's your system.

Louis

#4 jase07

jase07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:09 AM

There are unsupported means listed on the Web that purport to do such...I myself would be reluctant to download/install any alteration of XP that is not from what I consider to be a reputable source...but it's your system.

Louis

i know what you mean and it doesnt work for me and i do not want to alter anything again. So im looking for an inside the system solution :thumbsup:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:46 AM

There is none that I came across.

Louis

#6 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:43 PM

the xp hacks DO work to fix the connections limit in tcpip and udp (P2P), but that is not what windows shares use in a workgroup configuration (well not exclusively) The share limit seems to be there to prevent workstation software from acting like server software.

Unix really does fix this.
If you don't want to roll yer own with BSD (http://www.howtoforge.com/network_attached_storage_with_freenas) or Linux (http://www.samba.org/samba/what_is_samba.html) you can buy one to fit your offce budget.

http://www.synology.com/enu/products/index.php

I have a few large installations using the ds509 units in series with attached e-sata drives doing backup and rotating offsite.

Other sizes and prices are available on the page. All run CIFS which would allow you to share to your workgroup, and also have dozens more functions if you need them.

I turn most of them off.

This is the cheapest one on amazon at the moment. Looks like it would do what you need and more. 149.00

http://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation...196&sr=1-10

I don't work for any of the companies mentioned (or indeed have a real job) but I have used all these products in production environments.

#7 jase07

jase07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:46 AM

Thanks Ken, i might try to follow your advice. im not really familiar with a linux system, can i install it on a virtual machine anyway?

#8 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:44 AM

Yes. Though I find it more useful as a platform for virtual machines.

You can even run it from the live cd if you like, but you would have to share the drive again if you ever rebooted :thumbsup:

The core CIFS is installed even in the default boot from cd. Just moount the drive, set the workgroup and then share it . I have only used it that way for doing backups but it should work unless you need varying levels of permission. That should take an actual install.

#9 jase07

jase07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:07 AM

thanks. i have ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386 atm and will try to install on a VM :thumbsup:

#10 jase07

jase07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:37 AM

please help http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...=296419&hl=

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users