Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen since microsoft update

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Maze Solo

Maze Solo

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:53 AM

I got the bug from the MSFT update.

I can get to my recovery console, but when I type in-- CHDIR $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst -- it responds "path or file specified is not valid".. I've tried all the KBs that came w/ the update and I'm getting the same response. What could I be doing wrong?

Is it possible I'm not actually at the recovery console? I hit "R" when prompted, then it lists the possible commands in all caps, and I've got a " C:\> " which is where I've typing the above CHDIR.

Thanks for the help

FYI: I'm on my computer at work so have to feed info to my wife via phone, so please bear w/ me.

Edited by Maze Solo, 12 February 2010 - 11:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:47 AM

Take a look at PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1627027.

Louis

#3 Maze Solo

Maze Solo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:08 AM

Take a look at PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1627027.

Louis

Thanks for responding.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for in that thread. Maybe I'm more computer illiterate than I realized. I'm getting to the recovery screen and typing in CD $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst like it says in the thread, but I'm getting a "path or file specified is not valid".

Can you be more specific as to what I should be looking for?

Should my "c" prompt look like this-- c:\WINDOWS
Because mine looks like this-- c:\>

Does that matter?

Edited by Maze Solo, 12 February 2010 - 11:10 AM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:27 AM

Hello it seems this is a recent issue with the last MSFT update..

See answer by Kevin HauMSFT, Moderator to remove update KB977165

These are the common Stop Errors reported:

0x0000001D (0x80537008, 0xBA4CF3B8, 0xBA4CF0B4)
0x0000007E (0x80537008, 0xBACC3388, 0xBACC3084)

Repair link>>>>

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...bc-e292b69f2fd1

REpaired link

Edited by boopme, 12 February 2010 - 11:44 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Maze Solo

Maze Solo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:34 AM

[quote name='boopme' post='1627107' date='Feb 12 2010, 11:27 AM']Hello it seems this is a recent issue with the last MSFT update..

Repair link>>>>

EDIT: Removed bad link~~boopme
Your link loops me back to this thread and opens a reply box.

I suspect your link leads me to the repair in which I type CD $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninstCD on the restore console

Perhaps I'm not being clear: as I said, I know my problem is from the MSFT update and I've already tried CD $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninstCD but I'm getting "path or file specified is not valid". That's my issue.

If you

Edited by boopme, 12 February 2010 - 11:46 AM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:45 AM

Ok, odd that came up try again I fixed it.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Maze Solo

Maze Solo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:53 AM

Ok, odd that came up try again I fixed it.

Yeah that's the one--I've seen that post, I've tried that but it's not working.
I'm getting "path or file specified is not valid" when I type in CD $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst

Any idea why I'm getting that problem? It's the issue I've opened a thread to resolve.

Thanks

:ETA:

Just talked to my wife, the stop error is as follows:
0x0000007E (0xC000001D, 0x80537008, 0xBA4C3508, 0xBA4C3204) so looks like I'm not barking up the wrong tree.

what the hell are we doing wrong-- getting very frustrated

Edited by Maze Solo, 12 February 2010 - 11:56 AM.

#8 Maze Solo

Maze Solo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:09 PM

Guy in that social.answers thread said since I'm getting "path or file specified is not valid" when I type in CD $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst -- to try typing "CHKDSK" -- when I do that I'm getting the message "the volume appears to contain 1 or more unrecoverable problems"

this help at all?

Edited by Maze Solo, 12 February 2010 - 12:09 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:26 PM

Indicates either file system or hard drive problems, either of which can result in the partition becoming incapable of being read/used by Windows.

System manufacturer and model?

Generally...when chkdsk /r reports "unrecoverable problems", the next step is to run the appropriate manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive, after trying to retrieve any data files deemed valued...from the drive in question.

The drive itself may be good while the file system is messed up...the result, in either case, will call for a clean install if the drive is useable.

Louis

#10 Maze Solo

Maze Solo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:43 PM

Indicates either file system or hard drive problems, either of which can result in the partition becoming incapable of being read/used by Windows.

System manufacturer and model?

Generally...when chkdsk /r reports "unrecoverable problems", the next step is to run the appropriate manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive, after trying to retrieve any data files deemed valued...from the drive in question.

The drive itself may be good while the file system is messed up...the result, in either case, will call for a clean install if the drive is useable.

Louis

DELL Deminsion E510

What do you mean "run the appropriate manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive" is that a disc I should have?

I was fighting a vundo trojan before the update, but the BSOD didn't occur until my initial restart after the MSFT update. I was likely going to have an IT guy at work reinstall everything since I've failed to lick the vundo (struggling w/ it for almost a month) but was trying to fix this new issue first.

Sounds like the MSFT screw up has triggered a bigger problem on my machine than everyone elses?

Thanks

Edited by Maze Solo, 12 February 2010 - 12:43 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:52 PM

<<I was fighting a vundo trojan before the update...>>

FWIW: IMO, the malware problem is probably at the root of your current situation. I can't say for sure, since you didn't mention such until now...but malware on a system has the potentiality to change simple problems into complex ones.

If you want to blame Microsoft for that...that's your right.

<<...since I've failed to lick the vundo (struggling w/ it for almost a month)...>>

Louis

You may want to ask whomever you expect to do this reinstall...to run the appropriate manufacturer's diagnostic on that hard drive....before reinstalling XP.

Edited by hamluis, 12 February 2010 - 12:53 PM.

#12 Maze Solo

Maze Solo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:56 PM

Ok, thanks for your help.

I should've mentioned the virus up top. Not blaming MSFT for the virus, but they sure didn't help my situation with this update considering it's what triggered the BSOD. Besides, its easier to blame them than myself (or my wife) :thumbsup:

Any idea of the chances he'll be able to recover and backup files before reinstalling?

Wish me luck...sounds like I'll need it.

Again, thanks for your consideration Louis...great message board you guys have here.

Edited by Maze Solo, 12 February 2010 - 12:58 PM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:04 PM

<<Any idea of the chances he'll be able to recover and backup files before reinstalling?>>

Since nothing has been written to the hard drive since it became unreadable/undetectable...I think it should be fairly easy to recover data files from it, using the appropriate data recovery program from another system.

There are many of these programs around, some free, some cost. I own a paid program, but it does the job when I seem to need it (which is why I bought it).

Louis

#14 Maze Solo

Maze Solo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:08 PM

<<Any idea of the chances he'll be able to recover and backup files before reinstalling?>>

Since nothing has been written to the hard drive since it became unreadable/undetectable...I think it should be fairly easy to recover data files from it, using the appropriate data recovery program from another system.

There are many of these programs around, some free, some cost. I own a paid program, but it does the job when I seem to need it (which is why I bought it).

Louis

Sounds good thanks.

:ETA:
BTW- just noticed you're from TX, no wonder you're such a helpful fella :thumbsup: I spent first 22 years of my life in Dallas (the last 8 I've been in Philly) so I'm a Texan too.

Edited by Maze Solo, 12 February 2010 - 01:09 PM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:22 PM

Good luck :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users