Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Had to reformat, now speakers don't work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 beckyf

beckyf

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:19 AM

I had to reformat and reinstall everything, but now my speakers don't work.

Searching told me that maybe I need some audio drivers.

I read that I need to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, but before I do that, I need to install Windows Installer 3.1.

This is something I'm not familiar with, and don't want to mess up my computer, so just thought I'd ask if this is really the thing I need to do to get my speakers working again?

(Speakers themselves work. They just don't play anything back, and they were working fine before I had to reformat.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jase07

jase07

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:11 AM

basing on your post you have to upgrade your windows installer to 3.1 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

then you need to download http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

lastly you have to download the audio drivers of your computer. find what model is your motherboard which carries the sound card (if not separate form the board) then look it up to the internet. For example you board is manufactured by ECS, then model is P5KPLC then you will google it by typing ECS P5KPLC Sound Driver download.

hope it helps

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:51 AM

Windows Installer 3.1 has been updated, see Windows Installer 4.5.

Louis

#4 beckyf

beckyf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:50 AM

Thank you both for replying.

How do I find out what model the motherboard that carries the sound card is?
I'm unfamiliar with this aspect of things.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:59 AM

Start/Run...type msinfo32 and hit Enter.

The window at the right reflects some system info.

What is reflected for...System Manufacturer...and System Model?

Louis

#6 beckyf

beckyf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:36 PM

basing on your post you have to upgrade your windows installer to 3.1 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

then you need to download http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

lastly you have to download the audio drivers of your computer. find what model is your motherboard which carries the sound card (if not separate form the board) then look it up to the internet. For example you board is manufactured by ECS, then model is P5KPLC then you will google it by typing ECS P5KPLC Sound Driver download.

hope it helps

Start/Run...type msinfo32 and hit Enter.

The window at the right reflects some system info.

What is reflected for...System Manufacturer...and System Model?

Louis

Thank you, Louis. My manufacturer is Dell Inc. and system model is: Dell DM051.

I guess I'm not quite clear on what jase07 is telling me to do, but I'm going to search around and see what I can find.

#7 beckyf

beckyf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:50 PM

According to the service tag on my computer, I need the SIGMATEL-Driver which applies to STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio. When I try to install it, it can't. It says I need to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 first.

Now do I update to the latest Windows Installer mentioned, then install the .NET Framework thing, then try to install that audio driver?

I want to make sure I understand what I need to do.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:14 PM

You have it in the correct order :thumbsup:.

The important one is the 3.5, SP1, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users