Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to permanently change Services that launch

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Number_6

Number_6

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:15 AM

There are a whole bunch of XP services that launch automatically when you start up Windoze. These can be turned off manually by using services.msc.

But I've found that at least some of these can not be turned off permanently. An example is Automatic Updates.

Does anyone know if it is possible to turn these off permanently? One obvious way would be to change the name of the service, and that's not hard to do, but there must be a "proper" way to do it. Anyone have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:32 AM

Using Automatic Updates as in your example, if you right click the Service, Properties and set the Startup Type to Disabled and reboot, does that not keep it from starting again?

If you disable Automatic Updates, you will then get an informational message about that, which you will also have to disable (if you want).

If you have particular fussy ones, tell us which and maybe we can help. I don't think renaming is a good method.

I have many disabled service too. Here is a popular list for XP that will give you some ideas about what can be turned off/disabled/better left alone:

http://www.blackviper.com/

Edited by joseibarra, 12 February 2010 - 08:32 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:56 PM

Blackviper is an excellent site, but playing with services is a dangerous game, so you have to really know, what you're doing.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 syler

syler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:15 PM

Their is a list of services you can disable, in the following link, if you don't need them, but I would not suggest trying to disable
Automatic Updates, as it is very important to keep your computer updated to protect you from having vulnerabilities that malware
can exploit.

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showpo...amp;postcount=6

unite.jpg

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:43 AM

Yeah - I reckon there is no one list that will work for everybody and sometimes it turns out not to be such a good idea to just turn off things using a list that works for somebody else. I want to know the services on my system!

I had a boss once that when a person insisted on knowing more than what we considered good for them, would say:

"Fine. We'll not only give 'em the gun, we'll load it for 'em".

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users