Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google redirects & Vundo.KA as per AVG (was rootkit)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Neytiri

Neytiri

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:44 AM

Hello BC community! I, too, was suffering from Google redirects (but strangely, only in Google Chrome, not in IE, so I uninstalled Chrome after the fix) for WEEKS before my AVG started detecting "Vundo.KA". It said it would heal, but did not, and detected this in several different system files and memory. I could also not reinstall Windows, and searched and searched for an answer. I found a malware removal guide on GeeksToGo.com on fixing "Google Redirects" that sanctioned the use of a rootkit remover AFTER backing up the registry, making a new system restore point and cleaning up temporary files. I went ahead and did all of that, ran the rootkit removing program, and sure enough, a nasty rootkit was found and cleaned off my system.

WHEW!!! :flowers:

It is now good as new, and I'm posting this here just in case this info can help anyone with their computer problems (or help you fine BC Angels help others w/their PC problems- what a great source of help this website is!!!). I just used the "Personal Security" rogue malware removal guide here after clicking on an image on a Google image search took me to a website/pop-up which got me infected with THAT- THANK YOU!!! :thumbsup:

Sorry if this wasn't posted in the correct forum, but it seems to be such a common issue, I want to get the info out to everyone who may find it of use!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TrashCompaqtor

TrashCompaqtor

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:55 AM

I had the vundo.ka infecting my explorer.exe and any web browser I tried using. The guide mentioned at geekstogo.com worked perfect for me! Thanks again!

#3 Neytiri

Neytiri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:11 AM

No problem- this fix has worked for everyone who has had the AVG unable to clean Vundo.KA that I've talked to.

:thumbsup:

Please pass it on in any other forums where others are having this issue. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users