Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intro

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 exparcel

exparcel

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:09 PM

This is my first post. Don't know what I'm doing. Have a problem with a program I can not get rid of. Where do I go?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:01 PM

:thumbsup: to BC! exparcel.
I'd recomend checking out this page: Before and how to post about a problem

Good Luck,
yanowhiz

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:03 PM

Probably the best forum would be the "all other applications" forum. The main thing is to concentrate on the information you post- - -tell us what the program is, how you have tried to remove it, and what happens, including any error messages you get. Don't worry, if your post ends up in the wrong forum, a moderator will move it to one where it will get the best and quickest response. Use a title like:

Need Help Removing
*This application/program* (fill in with the one that you cannot get rid of)

Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 02 September 2005 - 07:05 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 exparcel

exparcel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:20 AM

jgweed; My problem program is Prositefinder aka Prositefinder.exe. I keep deleting it but it finds it's way back, somehow, after 2 or 3 days.

I have Windows 98.

Prositefinder seems to screw up my Solitaire game with an error box. That's how I know it is back.

This is how I remedy the situation (temporarily)
1. I run McAfee, it picks it up as "a program you probably don't need", I quarantine and delete.

2. I go to the Add/Remove Programs in my Control Box and remove it.

3. I go to the Run and open msconfig. Click on startup tab and the program Prositefinder is usually checked, I uncheck it.

4. I then shut the computer down and reboot. Prositefinder is gone for a few days and it returns somehow?

It obviously has another hiding place that I am unaware off. Got any ideas?

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2005 - 02:54 PM

This seems to be adware, according to the BC startup database. According to the company that foisted this on consumers, it can be deleted using your add/romove programs.
If this fails to work, then use either Ad-Aware SE or Spybot in safe mode to see if they can remove it. Your last recourse would be to submit a HJT log to our volunteer team of experts for help:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...s-Log-t956.html

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 exparcel

exparcel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 04:13 PM

I have ad-aware, it doesn't even pick it up (prositefinder). I Googled Spybot and most people said it sucks and to stay away from it. The ollt thing I have that picks it up is McAfee.

Like I said I remove it from Programs but it revamps itself in a day or two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users