Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking to purchase a good anti virus/malware program

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DP349

DP349

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:52 PM

I have an asus eee netbook and I need to purchase an anti virus program ... I'm not too familiar with very good programs.

My experiences is to always get free ad aware and spybot and just take it from there when I notice I am having a problem. Then identify a real virus and take the steps to just get rid of that specifc virus. But right now I have a new netbook and am deciding to just stop it before it even begins. I'm trying to do some research but obviously all of the websites just claim theirs is the best and have other websites giving them praise.

I am also curious, do these programs stop all the trackers and dumb stuff that I usually need ad aware and spybot to catch and remove on my comp?

I would also prefer the program to run and not take up too much computer usage considering the netbook only has a 1.6 cpu.

Thank you in advance for any input

Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 February 2010 - 11:09 PM.
Move from XP to AV forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:11 PM

I would never pay for an antivirus package as there are good free ones available.

Check out this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Just remember that no protection software is 100% effective and a lot depends on how you use your computer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 DP349

DP349
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:15 PM

yeah but I don't mind paying 25 bucks and just having all the real time protection and not have to worry about it. I know they're not going to be perfect as the internet is always changing, but easy piece of mind without having to go through the hassle is what I'm looking for right now.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:38 PM

Antivir, Avast, AVG and Comodo (all free) have real-time protection.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:08 AM

Most of the programs in the link Budapest provided, are real-time programs, and just as effective as their pay-for counterparts, but they lack some of the "bells-and-whistles" of the pay-for programs.
The one's listed are all reputable products.
The free programs will use less computer resources, because they don't have all of the "bells-and-whistles".
Personally, I use Avira AntiVir Personal, and have been completely satisfied with the program.

Selecting an AV is more of a personal decision, than a "which is better".
The reason I say it's more of a personal decision, is the fact that no AV program will catch every problem, so it boils down to which user interface you're more comfortable with using.
None of them are 100% effective, so for that reason, it's a good idea to occasionally run a couple of the free online scans, as an extra layer of protection.

I also recommend staying away from suites.
It seems the more they add to the program, the more problems people have with it, and the more resources they consume.
That's why, in my opinion, it's better to use programs that are dedicated to one job (AV, Firewall, Antispyware, ....), instead of trying to do everything.
You'll have fewer problems in the long run.
Why pay a lot for something (Antivirus, Firewall, Anti-Spyware), that you can get for free, that will do the same job, if not better.

While we're on the subject of security, I suggest you re-think Ad-Aware, and Spybot.
These 2 are not as effective as they used to be.
I used to use both of them, but find Malwarebytes' Anti-malware (mbam), and SUPERAntiSpyware to be better programs.
More effective than the other 2, and highly recommended by our members.

Just my 2 worth. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:46 AM

I suggest for AV you use Avast, because of the high detection rates as well as real-time shields, although of course AntiVir and MSE are good as well. As other posters have said MBAM and SAS free are the best choices for on-demand scanners, you can also use Hitman Pro for scanning occasionally.

Safe practices are also very important, you'll almost certainly get infected no matter what AV you have if you don't have some common sense. See Gizmo's Guide to Securing Your PC, Safe Computing in Under an Hour, Safe Web Practices and How to Stop 11 Hidden Security Threats.

EDIT:
We do not recommend Hitman Pro, as it is using some others' programs, without the authors' consent. ~tg1911

#7 mtr18103

mtr18103

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:00 AM

My two cents,

There are others more knowledgeable than I am.

Having said that, I have tried a number of Free and purchased protection systems this year. Definitely Avast 5 or AVG 9 for free AV protection. No need to pay for AV. I feel the biggest threat right now passes most AV software. They do not seem to be very good at detecting Trojans and Malware. Any one else want to comment on this?

This is why you need Malwarebytes or Super Antispyware real-time protection. I love Malwarebytes real-time protection. $25 lifetime subscription is well worth every penny. It does however conflict with Avast 5 and you cannot run both. Verified on 4 PCs. I have no trouble with AVG 9 and MBAM real-time protection and I have this combo on 4 PCs now. This is my favorite combo for $25 total fees.

I know Avast detection rates have been reported higher. However, when I switched from Avast to AVG it found 3 trojans on one PC that Avast was missing. I know this is a small sample and does not mean AVG is better overall.

Just my two cents,

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:36 PM

I know Avast detection rates have been reported higher. However, when I switched from Avast to AVG it found 3 trojans on one PC that Avast was missing. I know this is a small sample and does not mean AVG is better overall.

Exactly what Budapest and I were referring to when we said, no protection software is 100% effective, hence my statement:

it's a good idea to occasionally run a couple of the free online scans, as an extra layer of protection.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:33 PM

Personally, I would recommend using either Avira AntiVir Free/Personal edition or avast! for an antivirus program, just be sure that you only have 1 anti-virus program installed on your machine

For a firewall I would recommend Comodo, please note that the Comodo firewall installation also includes an Anti-virus program, if you decide to choose another anti-virus (not Comodo), then please be sure to only install the firewall, you will be prompted during installation if you want to install just the firewall, or the firewall and the anti-virus.

The on-demand anti-malware scanners I recommend are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAnti-Spyware.

For additional protection, SpywareBlaster is a great program to protect you from visiting malicious sites, and blocking tracking cookies. Note that SpywareBlaster isn't an actively running program. You download it, run it once, and then make sure you update it every week or 2 and you will always be protected. It works by tweaking some IE and Firefox settings to block tracking cookies and provide additional protection.

#10 DP349

DP349
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:41 PM

Wow lots of helpful advice, thank you once again for helping my plight against viruses. Saved me some money and helped me get programs I will need and understand a little bit more.

#11 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:24 PM

If you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask them here :thumbsup:

#12 mtr18103

mtr18103

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:26 AM

One more question.

I recently realized Malwarebytes is not scanning compressed files. Cab, RAR or Zip files. Do any of the Anti-Malware scanners check compressed files?

My AVG seems to be scanning most of the compressed files but I was looking for some extra scanning protection for Malware.

#13 mtr18103

mtr18103

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:29 AM

Bit Defender 5 user license on sale for $15. Anyone have any feedback on this. I used it 2 years ago and switch to Avast and AVG free when it ran out.

I have seen detection rate testing reviews on 2009 software and BDF was OK not great. Any reason to think AV software that is purchased is any better than the free ones. Price on this is so cheap I was considering buying it.

Regards,

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:17 PM

I think SUPERAntiSpyware will scan compressed files (depending on what scanning settings you choose).

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users