Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast, WebRoot Spy Sweeper and more

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Jagst3r15

Jagst3r15

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:17 PM

Hi all.

So I just upgraded to Windows 7 just after doing a clean install of Vista. I have Win 7 Ultimate.

What should I use for protection?

I downloaded the Avast! free Anti-Vrius and have a paid subscription for WebRoot Spy Sweeper (which is NOT installed at the minute). Should I install the WebRoot or will it conflict with Avast?

Also, what should I do with Windows Defender and Windows Firewall?

Thanks in advance.
Best Staff: Boopme, quietman7 and Pandy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:50 PM

Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall and anti-malware programs is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular combination that works well for one person may not work as well for another. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. You may need to experiment and find what is most suitable for your needs. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use paid for products or free alternatives.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

Webroot should not conflict with avast. As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, etc will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real time protection and others as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, if using all their real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc) together at the same time, there can be conflicts when each application tries to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. Additionally, competing tools may even provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing.

Windows 7 Firewall is similar to Vista but adds a few new features in the firewall and related network-safety areas such as separate configuration settings for private (Home or Work) and public networks.

As with Vista, the basic settings for the Windows 7 firewall are accessed via the Control Panel applet. Unlike Vista, you can also access the advanced settings (including configuration of filtering for outbound connections) through the Control Panel instead of having to create an empty MMC and add a snap-in...

What's new in the Windows 7 Firewall?
Security in Windows 7: Firewall and Networking

Edited by quietman7, 11 February 2010 - 11:54 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Jagst3r15

Jagst3r15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:42 AM

I don't really know that much. Is just having the Avast free version safe? or should I get something else?

#4 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:14 AM

Avast is a good AV, I suggest you remove Windows Defender. Spy Sweeper is a known resource hog and probably not the most effective app, so personally I suggest you not use it.

Common sense and safe practices are also very important, you'll almost certainly get infected no matter what AV you have if you don't have some common sense. See Gizmo's Guide to Securing Your PC, Safe Computing in Under an Hour, Safe Web Practices and How to Stop 11 Hidden Security Threats.

#5 Jagst3r15

Jagst3r15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:51 AM

Well, is there any other spy ware detection program that provides real-time protection but is NOT an anti-virus program AND is something that would work with Avast?

By saying "NOT an anti-virus program" I mean something like WebRoot Spy Sweeper which is just for malware and whatnot.

Edited by Jagst3r15, 12 February 2010 - 01:52 AM.

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:09 AM

There are full time, anti spyware programs,but you have to pay for them.

I know of 2 free ones, that offer full time Guard,which I have used, and they aren't 2, I would recommend.

#7 Jagst3r15

Jagst3r15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:32 AM

Should I disable Windows Firewall and download the free ZoneAlarm Firewall?

Still need some suggestions for some anti-spyware programs that provide real-time protection other than WebRoot (which is apparantly bad).

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:15 AM

s there any other spy ware detection program that provides real-time protection but is NOT an anti-virus program AND is something that would work with Avast?

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Spyware Terminator

#9 Jagst3r15

Jagst3r15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:20 AM

Spyware Terminator looks like it has an Anti-Virus with it though, or am I wrong?

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:07 AM

Using the built-in Clam AntiVirus integration is optional and there is no need to install it if you already have an anti-virus application. I use ST & MBAM alongside NOD32 Anti-Virus and it all works fine.

I have ST installed along with avast on my wife's machine and it works just as well on that system.

#11 Jagst3r15

Jagst3r15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:46 AM

Hi so my friend's Uncle is an expert with computers and he said that Zone Alarm Anti-Virus was by far the best one out there. I am willing to pay for it, but just need a second opinion. I know that you say Anti-Virus's are personal preferance, but there must be some consensus as to what is the best. I do not feel safe simply having a free version of avast however.

Also, If I get the Zone Alarm, should I download Malwarebyets and run a scan with that every week?

To take it a step further should I get the ESET online scan and do that once a month too? ( I dont think Malwarebytes or ESET online will conflict with Zone Alarm(?)

ty! :thumbsup:

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:26 AM

Independent comparatives of Anti-virus Software <- click on the "Comparatives" link on the left
TopTen Review: AntiVirus Software Product Comparisons
gizmo's Best Free Antivirus Software
AntiVirus Software Comparative Malware Removal Tests
Virus Bulletin <- requires registration

These types of comparative testing results will vary depending on who is doing the testing, what they are testing for, what versions of anti-virus software is being tested, etc. There are no universally predefined set of standards/criteria for testing and each test will yield different results. Thus, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results. Read Anti-virus Testing Websites: An overview of testing sites

You can always supplement your anti-virus by performing an Online Virus Scan from time to time. Keep in mind that some online scanners will require you to temporarily disable your existing anti-virus to avoid problems during the scan.

#13 Jagst3r15

Jagst3r15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:34 AM

It is all very confusing to me...there is no consensus at all!!!!

My friend's Uncle is a pro with this stuff, but I can't find much information on Zone Alarm, even though their site says they have 60 Million users.

Me so confused :thumbsup:

#14 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:56 PM

Personally, I would recommend using either Avira AntiVir Free/Personal edition or avast! for an antivirus program, just be sure that you only have 1 anti-virus program installed on your machine

For a firewall I would recommend Comodo, please note that the Comodo firewall installation also includes an Anti-virus program, if you decide to choose another anti-virus (not Comodo), then please be sure to only install the firewall, you will be prompted during installation if you want to install just the firewall, or the firewall and the anti-virus. Windows 7's firewall is supposed to be quite good, however.

The on-demand anti-malware scanners I recommend are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAnti-Spyware.

For additional protection, SpywareBlaster is a great program to protect you from visiting malicious sites, and blocking tracking cookies. Note that SpywareBlaster isn't an actively running program. You download it, run it once, and then make sure you update it every week or 2 and you will always be protected. It works by tweaking some IE and Firefox settings to block tracking cookies and provide additional protection.

#15 Jagst3r15

Jagst3r15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:05 PM

Okay so you reccomend keeping Avast! free version for Anti-Virus as well as keeping Windows Firewall. And, downloading malwarebytes to run every other week to scan for mal ware (this program wont conflict with Avast will it?)

What to do with windows defender though ( I like to run throug alot of options before choosing).

Thanks for making this less confusing :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users