Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Floppy Diskette Seek Failure" and Dead Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cassielump

Cassielump

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:51 PM

I tried to install a PCI card on my computer, which was a stupid idea considering how much of a klutz I am. Not only that, it turned out to be incompatible. I can only assume I knocked something loose, because that's when the problems began.

Anyway, afterwards I received a notice before booting that said "floppy diskette seek failure", but pressing F1 would let me pass on and use the computer. I tried to seal the body of computer up after I shut it down. The next morning I got the same "floppy diskette failure" notice, but my keyboard stopped working. Hence, a dead end. I replaced the batteries, everything. I'm not sure if it's the computer or the silly bluetooth or both.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:39 AM

Do you have a floppy drive?
You might have bumped the ribbon cable loose from the motherboard
USB or PS/2 keyboard?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Cassielump

Cassielump
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:07 PM

Do you have a floppy drive?
You might have bumped the ribbon cable loose from the motherboard
USB or PS/2 keyboard?

Looked inside, no floppy drive whatsover. There is a loose cable though dangling around, if I were to take a picure, would you be able to identify it and tell me if it is crucial?

The keyboard is a bluetooth one with a wireless adapter in a USB port , and the silly computer doesn't even have a PS/2 slot (that was plan A).

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:18 PM

Sure post some pics.
You might want to poke around your BIOS.
It sounds like some things got changed
Look at your first boot device and anything to do with bluetooth

Edited by garmanma, 12 February 2010 - 07:23 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Cassielump

Cassielump
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:42 PM

Sure post some pics.
You might want to poke around your BIOS.
It sounds like some things got changed
Look at your first boot device and anything to do with bluetooth

I can't poke around anything until I get the keyboard working. Before the keyboard stopped working (changed the batteries to make sure it wasn't that), my system setup still detected everything.

Here are some piccies, they're all thumbnails, but the full-size should be sufficient.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edit: when I was opening the computer, a tiny spring fell out, and it's not quite closing properly. This may just my ineptitude, but are itty bitty silver springs in any way a key component? D8

Edited by Cassielump, 12 February 2010 - 10:12 PM.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:20 PM

Cassielump from what I can see from your pics blown up to 100%.

You have a SATA power wire dangling and a floppy device power plug dangling.

You only have one hard drive so the one that is dangling is ment for a second hard drive if it was installed. (which there is not)

Also you have one SATA plug which appears to have a cap on it, that also is not in use (nor was in use)

Your SATA hard drive which is located at the bottom of the case appears to be hooked up OK.

As you said you do not have a floppy drive installed, so the little white four wire plug is not needed.

I do recommend getting a can of compressed AIR (available at Radio shack or Staples) and blow the dust out of that tower. Specially blow out the dust from the Processors cooling fins and fans.

Any time you use compressed air on the blades of cooling fans I recommend you prevent the fan from spinning.

I also use a narrow long bristle tooth brush for removing dust that remains stuck to fan surfaces.

Any time you mess with any thing in your computer make sure it is unpluged from AC outlet.

Make sure you are grounded to computer case at all times, because your body has enough electrical current in it to wipe out computer components!

Another thing about missing floppy drives. Make sure a setting in your BIOS setup untility was not enabled. It might be called "bootup floppy seek" Not sure what BIOS you have, but that one is commen in most BIOSes. Make sure its not enabled if you do not have floppy diskette drive.

You did not post pics that show the front of your tower or the back so it was hard to see what drives you had in front or why keyboard does work. I assume your using a USB keyboard am I correct?

EDIT: I see that you only have what appears to be a SATA Optical drive in the upper bay area and at closer inspection I see that the floppy drive bay area is empty.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 13 February 2010 - 12:11 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 Cassielump

Cassielump
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:04 PM

I found the problem with my keyboard; it wasn't on. (Who puts an "on/off" switch on a keyboard anyway? I was able to go into the system setup menu and fix everything. Simply telling it not to boot from a floppy still gave me a warning, but once I set the floppy drive menu to "off", everything seemed to work. If anything else comes up, I'll ask later.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:30 PM

Glad everything worked out OK for you :thumbsup:

You taught me something new, I didn't know that wireless keyboards had a battery on/off switch either.

Thanks for letting us know you solved the problem.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users